This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disable kdesudo?

im a total noob when it comes to KDE so I ran into a problem almost instantly. i have files spread about 4 different drives. for example I have my music library on my F drive while my system drive is C. i need to enter my password when I try to access this drive the first time when i boot up. basically, i want that to not happen. i like the use amarok for my music and it is unable to access the music on my F drive until i enter my password. very annoying.

any suggestions?

Re: disable kdesudo?

I'm not sure what your title means, but it sounds like you want to have the drives automatically mounted. AFAIK you do that in system settings. Since you refer to the drives by letters, I assume that they are formatted as fat32 or NTFS. You need to search for something like "jaunty automount ntfs" and similar. I found this page on Kubuntu guide: http://kubuntuguide.org/Jaunty#Windows_Compatibility
    Hopefully someone else here will have clearer instructions if you need them, but perhaps this will get you off in the right direction.

BTW: eliminating the need for root privileges is generally a very bad idea. You need to maintain the security structure - at least if you go on the net with this machine.

Comment

Ways to (auto)mount:

Fstab

/etc/fstab is a system configuration file and is used to tell the Linux kernel which partitions (file systems) to mount and where on the file system tree.

More of the fstab > How to fstab

Device Notifer/Manger

There are alternative (plasma-widget) device notifiers that will have the option to automount the partitions.

> Device Manager
      > New Device Notifier with Automount
      > New Device Notifier with Automount

Binaries can be found from the PPA repositories > FAQ: Repositories

Right to do

With the Kubuntu 9.04 / KDE 4.2 (or later) > FAQ: Root Password and scroll to the
      >> PolicyKit - Give Yourself Permission to Make Things

There is (among other things): mount/unmount rights.

Turning: "Active Console: Yes"
      from the "Mount file systems from internal drives"

Implicit authorizations are authorizations automatically given to users based on certain criteria such as if they are on the local console.
      => You could mount/unmount partitions (that are not in the fstab) from the (local) Dolphin without password query.
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Ole Juul,

Yes, the drives are NTFS for a number of reasons but I referred to them as letters because I couldn't come up with any better way of describing my problem.

Comment

Working...
        X