This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Solved) Media Sound but only a blue screen

I have a del dimension 4600 basic machine with 2gig ram and a 100gig hard drive SATA. I have the motherboard video card and no others installed. i am running a Intel pentium 4 processer not a duel core.
    When I try any of the media programs and I've ran every one that is out there for kubuntu, I get sound on kmplayer, but no picture and I donot even get sound in dragon, or any of the other players.
    Amarok plays fine so i know that the sound is doing good.
    I have reinstalled Kubuntu 9.04 3 times trying to get it to work using different setups. But they all seem to work the same. Real player won't even recognize the media players.
    I have Medibuntu installed per the instructions and have installed all the codexes per the instructions in feed on vidio trouble shooting not sure what the feed number was now. I went through it twice and still only a blue video screen.
    I have gone over the forum for two days trying to figure this out to no availe.
    so does any one have any idea as to how to get the video working on this machine?

Any help I could get would be greatly appriciated.

Bright Blessing
    TheTiny1

Re: Media Sound but only a blue screen

Hi Tiny1.

What type of video card does your machine have, please?
    Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

This machine has an
      Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics Controller
      in it.
      Another scan tells me its an
      Intel (R) 82865G Graphics Controller.
      I am presuming that these are the same things.

Thanks for the help.

Bright blessings
      Thetiny1

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny1

This machine has an
        Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics Controller
        in it.
        Another scan tells me its an
        Intel (R) 82865G Graphics Controller.
        I am presuming that these are the same things.

Yep. Intel graphics have been a challenge this year - I think it's getting better for some cases (9.10 ...), but I'm not sure about your situation with 9.04. I think you need to make of study of this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

and then see how to proceed to tweak your xorg.conf file to make it behave.

Comment

I have tried the suggestion by dibl.
          the results are that dragon does not even play sound or blue screen and so does KMplayer.
          however mplayer does work in that it has sound that is garbled and video that is colored squares mixed with video.
          I did the safe method at this point. I will go ahead and try the optimal and see what happens there.

Thanks

Bright blessings.

Comment

well I did the optimize part of the sheet and rebooted the machine and well I now have system lock up at the login prompt. Since I can't login I figure since it was a clean install just a week ago and no data is on the drive I will try and do a new install of 9.04 and see what happens with dibl suggestion on a completely clean install.
            I will install all the Medibuntu files for video first though.

Question will 9.10 fix this problem or is it still there with this type of video?

Bright Blessings
            TheTiny1

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny1

Question will 9.10 fix this problem or is it still there with this type of video?
              There is a really easy way to answer that question, assuming you have a working computer and CD burner, with which to burn a 9.10 Live CD.

Comment

Dibl;
                I did just that and everything seems to be working just fine. all Movies I have tried in Karmic is working great.
                So I will show this as solved by upgrading to karmic.

Thanks for the help!!!

Bright Blessings
                TheTiny1

Comment

Working...
                X