This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

always return to loginscreen

please help, two days ago i install v4l-dvb in jaunty, but now i have problem when i try to launch program it's always back to login screen it's like my system crash but when i try to see the error message there is no one, it's very annoying me, i cannot enter the menu it's always return to login screen, nor firefox every thing that i want to launch it's always return to login screen, please help.
    ps. my computer is
    2.8 ghz, pIV
    2g ram
    ati x1300
    250g maxtor hard disk
    asrock motherboard

Re: always return to loginscreen

This "login loop" problem has been seen before -- it has several possible causes:

- full "/" filesystem
    - root privileges on .ICEauthority and .Xauthority files, due to root use of /home/user folder

Check #10 in the FAQs in my signature.

Comment

hai, i try to rename kde.bak, but no luck the new kdm still have login loop, i try disinstall and re install kdm still have no luck the new kdm still have login loop, please help

Comment

You'll need to boot into recovery (single user) mode. This will put you at a command line (no X running). From this prompt type:
        Code:
        df -hTxtmpfs
        You'll get a listing similar to:
        Code:
        Filesystem  Type  Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
        /dev/sda1   ext3  8.0G 3.3G 4.3G 44% /
        /dev/sda5   ext3   20G 7.6G  12G 41% /home
        /dev/sda2   ext3  7.9G 3.2G 4.4G 43% /media/sda2
        /dev/sda6   ext3   20G 7.3G  12G 39% /media/sda6
        /dev/sda3   ext3  7.9G 2.9G 4.7G 38% /media/sda3
        /dev/sda7   ext3   20G 230M  19G  2% /media/sda7
        /dev/sde1   vfat  4.7G 2.2M 4.7G  1% /media/PCMCIA_5G
        /dev/sdb1   vfat   56G 156M  56G  1% /media/USB_60G-1
        (this is what the output looks like on my system)

If the Use% on / is showing 100%, then you have some house cleaning to do to regain some space. The easiest way to do that is to remove the downloaded .deb files in the package cache. Type:
        Code:
        apt-get clean
        apt-get autoclean
        Then, again, type:
        Code:
        df -hTxtmpfs
        The Use% on / should be a fair amount less than 100%. Then just type:
        Code:
        shutdown -r now
        to reboot your PC. You 'should' be able to login now.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

hai, my problem is i can enter the login start kdm normaly, but when i try running some program for example firefox then login screen appear and i must start from begining without being running firefox, and i cannot start anything, i just can login without running any programm, yes i just did clean, autoclean and autoremove but still have login loop

Comment

Hmmmmm, that's odd. Does this happen with every application that you try? For example, do Alt-F2 and enter "konsole" with no quote marks -- does that crash too?

Comment

yes it's crash too, and i can working either, may be i must wait until karmic koala ready

Comment

There is something broken in your system. Maybe the CD you made has a defect, or the ISO file was not a good download. I advise you to start fresh with a new ISO from the "daily build" here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily/current/

Check the md5sum after it is downloaded, and burn your CD at the slowest possible speed on your burner. Then make a new installation.

Comment

thank's for the answer i will do that when karmic is ready, now i must use again my windows xp (poor me),

Comment

Working...
                  X