Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What dock application works best in Kubuntu?(Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What dock application works best in Kubuntu?(Solved)

I only ask because with Cairo-Dock I get this black-box all the way around the dock that really looks like hell... I love using the dock on my desktop because I use gnome on it, but for my laptop I prefer to use Kubuntu because it has a MUCH better powersave and network manager....

I saw one that is available as a plasmoid at KDE-Look.org, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as the Cairo-dock......... I know that there are others available though, so I thought I would ask some more experienced users what they prefer... or if they know of a work-around that can get rid of that horrid black box all the way around the cairo-dock when I install it?

I am thinking about trying this one http://daisyplasma.freehostia.com/pages/main.php but was wondering if anyone else was using it and could point out it's pluses and minuses for this one?

Re: What dock application works best in Kubuntu?

Here it is at KDE-Look.org....

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=102077 I tried to find it by clicking on the cashew in the upper right corner of the screen and clicking on
    Code:
    install new widgets
    but when I looked through most downloads, highest rated etc... it wasn't listed anywhere, I also cut and pasted the name into the search box and nothing came up either.... Damn I guess I am just cursed to NOT have a dock with KDE.... LOL.

Comment

Don't give up so soon!

http://daisyplasma.freehostia.com/pages/download.php

8)

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG
        Ahh thank you for taking the time to read and help out.... I did hit that link and I downloaded the tarball and I am trying to figure out how to install it now.

LOL I haven't given up.... I REALLY want to try out that darn dock... And I don't have to work tomorrow.... SO I have plenty of time to figure it out I guess...

Comment

LOL Ok, I'm an idiot and I can't for the life of me figure out how to install the daisy plasmoid... Does it matter if I am running 64 or 32 bit with this? I am running jaunty AMD 64......

I added the repository and the key, but can't get it to install this is what tried in terminal
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install daisy
          and I get this error in terminal.
          Code:
          cptrohn@Geronimo:~$ sudo apt-get install daisy
          [sudo] password for cptrohn:
          Sorry, try again.
          E: Type '[url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ppa/ubuntu'[/url] is not known on line 54in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
          E: The list of sources could not be read.
          So have I done something wrong? Or is there a bug at line 54?

Comment

Originally posted by cptrohn
            Code:
            Sorry, try again.
            E: Type '[url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ppa/ubuntu'[/url] is not known on line 54in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
            Yes, line 54 is malformed...the likely cause is missing 'deb' in front of the line, but if you post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list, we'll tell you what the problem is for sure.

As far as docks go, you can give the fancytasks plasma-widget a go as well. Installable from the same repo.

Comment

Is the line 54 ?:
              Code:
              deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ppa/ubuntu[/url] jaunty main
              It should be.

Note !
              You could download single packages from the PPA repositories ( > Daisy / Jaunty) and install them with the GDebi or KPackageKit.

Earlier > Topic: Finding, installing and using PPAs
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                Code:
                Sorry, try again.
                Yes, line 54 is malformed...the likely cause is missing 'deb' in front of the line, but if you post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list, we'll tell you what the problem is for sure.

As far as docks go, you can give the fancytasks plasma-widget a go as well. Installable from the same repo.
                Ok.. so how do I do that in Kubuntu? I know that in gnome it would be with gedit I beleive... not sure about Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                  Is the line 54 ?:
                  Code:
                  deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ppa/ubuntu[/url] jaunty main
                  It should be.

Note !
                  You could download single packages from the PPA repositories ( > Daisy / Jaunty) and install them with the GDebi or KPackageKit.

Earlier > Topic: Finding, installing and using PPAs
                  Oh MAN, I wish I would have known that one! Would have been MUCH easier!

Comment

Ok.. so how do I do that in Kubuntu? I know that in gnome it would be with gedit I beleive... not sure about Kubuntu
                    Code:
                    kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
                    kdesudo is similar to gksu/gksudo in gnome, and kate is kubuntu's default text editor.

Comment

Ok.... I can't update my kpackagekit because of that little error in launchpad now (stemming from that line 54 thing, I just tried and that error comes up..)

So if somebody has the time sometime can they help me to fix this? I know I need to put the deb in front of it, but I don't know how to do it in kubuntu... I tried to get into it with this
                      Code:
                      kedsudo /etc/......
                      when the error showed up, but I got a command not found error...

thanks for all the help so far, I just need a little bit more if you don't mind?

Comment

Code:
                        kedsudo /etc/......
                        maybe these are just typos in your post, but you've written 'kedsudo' instead of 'kdesudo' and missing 'kate'
                        Can you post the exact error (if any) when you run:
                        Code:

Comment

TIP:How to copy and paste into your Terminal automatically if you have a wheel (or 3 button) mouse.

1) Highlight the kdesudo etc command in kubicle's post
                          2) Put your cursor anywhere in your Terminal
                          3) Press the wheel (middle button)

Job done. No typing!
                          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                            Code:
                            kedsudo /etc/......
                            maybe these are just typos in your post, but you've written 'kedsudo' instead of 'kdesudo' and missing 'kate'
                            Can you post the exact error (if any) when you run:
                            Code:
                            Yes that was a typo I meant to type kdesudo.....

And yep, I didn't type in kate after that...

and I changed line 54, so I hope that everything is fine now... I will try and update and will let you all know! Thanks very much for the look-out!

Comment

grr.. ok still getting the same error...

it's this..
                              Code:
                              cptrohn@Geronimo:~$ sudo apt-get update
                              E: Malformed line 54 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist)
                              I think I am just going to delete that whole line from the sources list and be done with it for now..

Comment

Working...
                              X