This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] dpkg problem since wget update

Today I upgraded to KDE 4.3.2, which went fine. Something happened to wget, though. So I removed it and tried to reinstall, which gets me

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wget
    Reading package lists... Done               
    Building dependency tree                  
    Reading state information... Done             
    The following NEW packages will be installed:       
     wget                           
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/242kB of archives.               
    After this operation, 1978kB of additional disk space will be used.
    debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog           
    debconf: (Dialog frontend requires a screen at least 13 lines tall and 31 columns wide.)
    debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline                       
    Selecting previously deselected package wget.                      
    (Reading database ... 184654 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking wget (from .../wget_1.11.4-2ubuntu1.1_i386.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up wget (1.11.4-2ubuntu1.1) ...
    install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
    dpkg: error processing wget (--configure):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     wget
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    This is bad because I want to install msttcorefonts, which depends on wget... I have had a similar problem with mjpegtools quite some time, but this is not that big of a deal.
    My sources.list contains ppa and virtualbox repos, as well. And I installed a few packages without using dpkg: texlive2008, adobe flash 10 and google earth. Somehow texlive2008 seems to be responsible for the mjpegtools issue:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/305079

When trying to remove wget, I get a similar error as above, just with the preremoval script. I can remove the partly installed wget only after deleting that script.

Any chance to repair this?

Re: dpkg problem since wget update

Have you tried purging wget and then reinstalling? Do you use a graphical package manager or the command line?

Comment

I tried purging and reinstalling, but no luck... I mostly use apt-get on the command line.

Funny thing is that after I attempt to install wget as shown the post before, It seems to be there and working despite the error. However, any packet depending on wget (and mjpegtools) fails to install.
      With both packages, I get errors concerning the respective postinst and prerm scripts, which always return 1.

Do I have any other options than a system reinstall? A lot of packages depend on wget

Comment

Did you try a
        Code:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        ?

I have never heard of this issue, and a search doesn't turn up any prior examples of it, so I'm guessing you are right to suspect texlive2008, a package I know nothing about. Since you didn't install it through apt-get and the dpkg system, I fear you may be out of luck, as far as purging it. If it is in fact texlive2008 (or it's dependent packages) interfering with installation of wget, I dunno how you delete everything that needs to come back out of the system. I guess this is not the moment to point out the wonderful advantages of staying with Debian packages and using the dpkg system to install and manage them.

(sorry, couldn't help it)

Unless you can quickly learn the full chain of dependencies for texlive2008, and manually remove it all, probably a reinstallation of Kubuntu is the quickest path back to stability for your system.

BTW, no need to use non-dpkg methods to install flash or googleearth either, although I'm not sure flash in the repos is at ver. 10.

Comment

It seems like a bug with install-info. Actually:

http://naveendageek.blogspot.com/200...ified-try.html

Maybe renaming the gnu version as explained at the end of the post will do?

Comment

Hello i am new in this in Linux and inter nets so please tell me how to post question.
            If you have any idea about how to solve the following problem

when I am trying to configure a package "KsplashThemeGenerator" getting an error

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:84 (MESSAGE):
            ERROR: cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake not found in
            /home/nithin/.kde/share/apps;/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/apps;/usr/share/kde4/apps
            Call Stack (most recent call first):
            CMakeLists.txt:5 (find_package)
            Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Please help me

Comment

Originally posted by Nithin007
              Hello i am new in this in Linux and inter nets so please tell me how to post question.
              If you have any idea about how to solve the following problem
              Hi, and welcome.

Please click in this link and add a new topic (and if possible, please modify your previous post and remove all unnecessary contents so you don't hijack this topic where we are posting).
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=7.0

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                Did you try a
                Code:
                sudo dpkg --configure -a
                ?

I have never heard of this issue, and a search doesn't turn up any prior examples of it, so I'm guessing you are right to suspect texlive2008, a package I know nothing about. Since you didn't install it through apt-get and the dpkg system, I fear you may be out of luck, as far as purging it. If it is in fact texlive2008 (or it's dependent packages) interfering with installation of wget, I dunno how you delete everything that needs to come back out of the system. I guess this is not the moment to point out the wonderful advantages of staying with Debian packages and using the dpkg system to install and manage them.

(sorry, couldn't help it)

Unless you can quickly learn the full chain of dependencies for texlive2008, and manually remove it all, probably a reinstallation of Kubuntu is the quickest path back to stability for your system.

BTW, no need to use non-dpkg methods to install flash or googleearth either, although I'm not sure flash in the repos is at ver. 10.
                Code:
                sudo dpkg --configure -a
                just threw the same error.
                I had always suspected texlive2008 of this, since the other 2 packages I mentioned at least come in a *.deb file, while tl2008 has its own little install script. Getting it to work with kile requires some tweaking as well.

I am aware of the wonderful world of package management . I simply needed tl08, since tl07 didn't let me do what I wanted. And when I set it up some months ago, nothing seemed to go wrong. Then an update came in for mjpegtools and this suddenly failed. Same situation with wget yesterday.

Originally posted by lmilano
                It seems like a bug with install-info. Actually:

http://naveendageek.blogspot.com/200...ified-try.html

Maybe renaming the gnu version as explained at the end of the post will do?
                That was right on the spot! I did the fix he proposed
                Code:
                sudo mv /usr/local/bin/install-info /usr/local/bin/install-info-gnu
                but replaced install-info-gnu by install-info-tex since that is what caused it. And now I just installed wget AND mjpegtools without a single glitch

Very interesting problem, though. Apparently there are some programs out there that bring their own version of install-info, which somehow is able to precede the "right" one in $PATH. texlive2008 does comes with its own package manager, after all. Bit of a puzzle to me why most installs and updates kept working...

So thanks a ton to both of you! What would you say are my chances to update this installation to Karmic in a few weeks?

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] dpkg problem since wget update

Excellent! Thanks for reporting back! (a lot of folks just get the fix and never bother reporting )

I am also puzzled, it might be that not all packages use install-info in their install scripts?

I think your upgrade should be most likely fine (despite your mix and match of packages and a few installed by hand). I would suggest, however, to wait three to four weeks after the releas date, if you find the patience. There is always an early bunch of bugfixes in the repos triggered by the release. And most most times things start stabilizing about a month after the official release date.

Comment

Working...
                  X