This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seek Enlightenment.

Really, I do. I think its E17 now, I did the search thing for the forums but nothing I found was from like this year. I was able to get it on Fedora, but I recent returned to Kubuntu but I cannot find it in the repositories. Soooo how do I get it?
    As to deserving, know that the gift of Heaven is free; this gift of Knowledge is so great that no effort whatever could hope to 'deserve' it.

Re: I seek Enlightemnet.

In the repository, under "e16"
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Oh thanx. Odd I search Enlightenment in Adept and it didn't see it.
      Ohh I also search e17 but not e16, I done learned something new...but why 16 here and 17 in Fedora?
      As to deserving, know that the gift of Heaven is free; this gift of Knowledge is so great that no effort whatever could hope to 'deserve' it.

Comment

A quick google search for e17 and ubuntu yielded this: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-inst...in-ubuntu.html

I hope that helps!

Also, it's been a while since I tried Enlightenment. I may have to give it a go again. Let me know if those instructions work out for you, so I can give them a go too.

Comment

I added e16 and the recommended packages. Then the recommend packages recommended Enlightenment but that has no Installation candidate. Which I found mildly amusing. I'll give it a whirl shortly after I finish browbeating a friend.

Comment

The best implementation of e17 that I know of is Elive, from here:

http://www.elivecd.org/

Tip: The "development" version downloads faster, and comes with less pressure to pay $$.

No 64-bit architecture, yet.

Comment

If I weren't or couldn't run KDE4 then Enlightenment would be my desktop of choice.

EDIT: In fact, because I liked what they had done I sent'm $30.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
                A quick google search for e17 and ubuntu yielded this: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-inst...in-ubuntu.html
                Thanks, DK!

I'm going to switch over to my 32bit Jaunty partition and install it later tonite, (After I finish downloading the Elive 1.0 GEM.iso) Englightenment makes a great lite desktop for underpowered machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten

I hope that helps!

Also, it's been a while since I tried Enlightenment. I may have to give it a go again. Let me know if those instructions work out for you, so I can give them a go too.
                  i tried those instructions either I did something wrong or it doesn't work.

Comment

When something doesn't work it would be more helpful if you give any error messages that may result.

My first response is "did you reload the reload the repository cache after you changed sources.list"?

Comment

Another thing to consider... when I skimmed the information earlier, I noticed after I'd linked in the thread they talk about hardy and edgy, but no mention of jaunty. I tried to go to the main section of the site the repositories are hosted on to see if they offered newer repositories, but the site was loading slow (my connection has been annoyingly slow today) and I had other things that came up that needed my attention, so I didn't get to finish checking.

So I guess, make sure they offer a respository for the version of *buntu you're running, and make sure that the repository listing is set for the right version. Then make sure that apt-get or whatever package manager gui you're using has reloaded its cache of the repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                        When something doesn't work it would be more helpful if you give any error messages that may result.

My first response is "did you reload the reload the repository cache after you changed sources.list"?
                        It was long list of <this> is needed but will not be installed. About a dozen times then told the package is broken.
                        As to deserving, know that the gift of Heaven is free; this gift of Knowledge is so great that no effort whatever could hope to &#39;deserve&#39; it.

Comment

The last posted comment at Howto Install E17 Enlightenment Desktop in Ubuntu says:
                          Ian Soutar says:
                          April 28, 2009 at 4:48 am

ENLIGHTENMENT E17 ON UBUNTU 9.04

The site http://xsm.alphagemini.org/E17/repository/

Has an excellent repository for installing Enlightenment e17 in Ubuntu 9.04

Ignore the advice about pinning … it will install perfectly. This is the ONLY method that seems to get a fully functioning E17 into Ubuntu 9.04

All that is required is to add this repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file

Add the following line …

deb http://debian.alphagemini.org/ unstable main

then sudo apt-get update

then apt-get install e17 emodules-all
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

that dident work hear Snowhog ......but I dident try the pinning eather so...

after adding the repo.. deb http://debian.alphagemini.org/ unstable main
                            to /etc/apt/sources.list and the key.

vinny@desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install e17 emodules-all
                            Reading package lists... Done
                            Building dependency tree
                            Reading state information... Done
                            Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                            requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                            distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                            or been moved out of Incoming.
                            The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                            e17: Depends: exchange but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libecore-con-svn-01 (>= 0.9.9.060) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libecore-evas-svn-01 (>= 0.9.9.060) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libecore-file-svn-01 (>= 0.9.9.060) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libecore-imf-svn-01 (>= 0.9.9.060) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libecore-input-svn-01 (>= 0.9.9.060) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libecore-ipc-svn-01 (>= 0.9.9.060) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libecore-x-svn-01 (>= 0.9.9.060) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libedbus-svn-01 (>= 0.5.0.060) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libedje-svn-01 (>= 0.9.9.060) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libefreet-svn-01 but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libevas-svn-01 (>= 0.9.9.060) but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libgnutls26 (>= 2.5.9-0) but 2.4.2-6ubuntu0.1 is to be installed
                            Depends: libevas-engines but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: libedje-bin but it is not going to be installed
                            emodules-all: Depends: emodule-alarm
                            Depends: emodule-bling
                            Depends: emodule-calendar
                            Depends: emodule-configmenu but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: emodule-cpu
                            Depends: emodule-deskshow
                            Depends: emodule-diskio but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: emodule-drawer but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: emodule-efm-nav
                            Depends: emodule-efm-path
                            Depends: emodule-emu
                            Depends: emodule-exalt but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: emodule-execwatch but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: emodule-flame
                            Depends: emodule-forecasts
                            Depends: emodule-iiirk but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: emodule-language
                            Depends: emodule-mail
                            Depends: emodule-mem
                            Depends: emodule-moon
                            Depends: emodule-mpdule
                            Depends: emodule-net
                            Depends: emodule-news
                            Depends: emodule-notification but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: emodule-penguins
                            Depends: emodule-photo
                            Depends: emodule-places but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: emodule-rain
                            Depends: emodule-screenshot
                            Depends: emodule-slideshow
                            Depends: emodule-snow
                            Depends: emodule-taskbar
                            Depends: emodule-tclock
                            Depends: emodule-tiling but it is not going to be installed
                            Depends: emodule-uptime
                            Depends: emodule-weather
                            Depends: emodule-winselector
                            Depends: emodule-wlan
                            E: Broken packages
                            vinny@desktop:~$
                            BUT the e16 instaled fine from synaptic befor I tryed the e17 stuff ubuve and works well

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                            X