Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[RESOLVED]does kdelibs5-dbg v4.3.1 exist?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED]does kdelibs5-dbg v4.3.1 exist?

I am trying to submit a knetworkmanager crash report but need to install kdelibs5-dbg. However, I only see v.4.2.2 and I have kdelibs5 v.4.3.1. Aptitude says it can downgrade kdelibs5 to 4.2.2 but I am weary to do this?

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated!

chris
    p.s. I am using an AMD64 build.

Re: does kdelibs5-dbg exist?

Hi Chris!

I am using the 64bit Karmic version too.

You can check for the existance of installed files by using "locate" in a Konsole:

locate kdelibs5-d

would show you every file that begins with or includes that string.

As it turns out, kdelibs5-dbg does exist. It is in the repository readily available for installation for all who need it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: does kdelibs5-dbg v4.3.1 exist?

Sorry, GreyGeek, I should've included the version I was looking for in my subject. What about this? Do you know about kdelibs5-dbg v4.3.1?

chris

Comment

hear in synaptic I have.

kdelibs5-dbg
        debugging symbols for the KDE 4 libraries module
        4:4.3.1-oubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1 (jaunty)

the version is the KDE version you have........sence you sead

I have kdelibs5 v.4.3.1.
        I would think you are runing KDE 4.3.1 and that Aptitude should have showen you the 4.3.1 ver.

unless mabey you used the backports or kubuntu ppa just to update KDE then comented them out in your sources.list agin.
        eney way thats ware it is ........ kdelibs5-dbg v4.3.1 that is......in the backports repo that you get KDE 4.3.1 from

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
        deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main

I think

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

well, vinny, I like the sound of this. I'm still wrapping my head around this whole repository concept and have been meaning to research the idea and the keys needed to access the stuff as soon as I have the chance.

I'll let you know my results...

muchos gracias!

chris

Comment

it worked!

I definitely need to understand the packaging systems and their inhterfaces better!

By the way, for anyone with similar feelings, I have recently discovered the text-based interface to aptitude. This makes much more sense to me. I would highly recommend it.

chris

Comment

synaptic is a nice package manager you mite like

Code:
              sudo apt-get install synaptic
              dpkg is anuther one to readup on

Code:
              man dpkg
              VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by thatwaschrislee
                it worked!

I definitely need to understand the packaging systems and their inhterfaces better!

By the way, for anyone with similar feelings, I have recently discovered the text-based interface to aptitude. This makes much more sense to me. I would highly recommend it.

chris
                Shhhhhhsh! (We don't want to give away our trade secrets!

apt-get is another FINE konsole command for adding, removing and repairing applications.

The repository is how most modern Linux distros make available applications that are "prepackaged" so as to check for and automatically install any necessary dependencies. There are over 28,000 apps in the Ubuntu/Kubuntu repository. And, there are other repositories (like those at medibuntu) which you can add to your list of repositories from which you can download applications. This makes adding and removing applications a two or three click operation if you use Synaptic or other GUI interfaces to the repository, or a mere sentence if you use the command line.

Say you want to bring your installation up to date with the latest versions of all the apps you've previously installed, and with the latest bug and security patches. Press Ctl+Alt+F2 to bring up a Konsole box. In it enter

sudo apt-get update (which refreshes your local list of files on the repository)
                sudo apt-get upgrade (which installs the latest versions and/or patches and/or security updates)

or, the second command could be

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (which upgrades your entire installation to the next version release if it is available on the repository)

or,

sudo apt-get install -reinstall kubuntu-desktop (if you want to repair your desktop after inadvertantly doing some damage by accidently deleting something without removing it using the repository.

In other words, if you used the repository to install an application use the repository to delete it. DO NOT delete it by merely deleting its executable. And, since you are new to Linux, resist the temptation to add applications which are NOT IN the repository, i.e., they are foreign, they come from some other source which you did not add to the repository. This goes especially for tar files and *.rpm files. You are not ready to use alien yet.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X