This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get my old network manager back

I heard that wicd was a good tool to manage your connections so i downloaded it. However it seems to have removed my default network manager, which wouldn't have been a problem except that wicd seems to be incapable of connecting to the wireless network, i've played around with all the settings and it just can't seem to connect. So, how do i get my old network manager back (ie the one that came with KDE 4.3.1 as opposed to the original kubuntu 9.01 one)?

Re: Get my old network manager back

From what ever computer you are using to post your msg, download the package from the repository directly, via FireFox, and copy it to a USB memory stick, move it to the computer that needs it and install it
    dpkg -i <packagename>

Interesting, earlier everyone was cursing Knetworkmanager and praising wicd.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I can still connect to the internet on the problem computer, as long as i use the wired connection. Anyway i think(!) the package is plasma-widget-networkmanager , i tried to install it through synaptic package manager but i get this errors:

plasma-widget-networkmanagement:

Package plasma-widget-networkmanagement has no available version, but exists in the database.
      This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents of sources.list

Comment

It isn't the widget you need to install. Search on knetwork*
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ah ok, got knetwork manager, how do i get an icon in the system tray? Without that, its pretty difficult to swap between networks

Comment

Now that you have the 'package' installed, you should be able to install the widget.

Comment

ah yes thanks I've got the widget in the panel, is it possible to move it into the system tray where it was before i messed it up

Comment

Yes. Right-click on the widget that is in the panel, and choose to put it in the system tray. When you see it there, then right-click on the widget in the panel and select delete.

Comment

I've played quite alot but i still can't find the option
                  http://img5.imageshack.us/i/snapshot4c.png/
                  http://img42.imageshack.us/i/snapshot5.png/

Comment

Sorry. That doesn't work. Click once on the Cashew at the end of the Panel. This opens the Panel for editing (it puts a 'sudo' Panel above the real Panel). Take your mouse and hover over the icon on the bottom panel that you want to relocate. The icon will 'change' and you'll know it. Then click and hold while you drag the icon to the position on the Panel you want it. Then just let go of the mouse button. Satisfied, click again on the Panel Cashew to close it.

Comment

Try running it -- that should cause it to appear in the system tray

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                        Sorry. That doesn't work. Click once on the Cashew at the end of the Panel. This opens the Panel for editing (it puts a 'sudo' Panel above the real Panel). Take your mouse and hover over the icon on the bottom panel that you want to relocate. The icon will 'change' and you'll know it. Then click and hold while you drag the icon to the position on the Panel you want it. Then just let go of the mouse button. Satisfied, click again on the Panel Cashew to close it.
                        That lets me reposition the icon along the panel, but not put it in the system tray

Originally posted by skunk
                        Try running it -- that should cause it to appear in the system tray
                        Its definately running at the moment but it isen't in the system tray

Comment

Working...
                        X