This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype using Mic on Logitech Ultra Vision Web-Cam outputs clicks

For some time now I have been having trouble with Skype Echo/Sound Test giving about three or more clicks superimposed on the replayed sound from my web-cam. I decided to use Audacity to record the sound from this microphone and it also contained the clicks which are off the order of 1.5s or more apart.

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is not with Skype but with the Linux kernel drivers for this Web-Cam. I have the latest kernel 2.6.28 as well as 2.6.30 and both give the same results. The output from lsusb for the Web-Cam is:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:08c9 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Ultra Vision
    • Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    • Does anyone have a solution?

Re: Skype using Mic on Logitech Ultra Vision Web-Cam outputs clicks

Hi

I have some ideas, not necessarily a solution:

* Maybe play with the sound mixer settings (the speaker in the panel)
    * Have you tried different input sound devices in Skype?
    * Maybe playing with System Settings -> Multimedia (again, I would take a look and see if there is anything obvious to change or try)

Hope this helps!

Comment

Hi lmilano,

Thanks for replying to my post. I already use the mixer to control the speaker volume and I have also used it to control the Mic, which in my case is USB Device 0x46d:0x8c9. I have tried different levels without any change in the clicks.

I have also tried a separate microphone plugged into an amplifier which is then plugged into the mic input of my laptop. In this case there are no clicks in the mic signal sent by Skye.

When I use the Logitech mic, I have the multimedia settings for all audio capture options set with the Logitech mic as the preferred device.

I have a 64B system and I have also tried it on my 32B system which is Kubuntu 8.04 and this gives more frequent clicks!!!!!

Do you have the Logitech Ultravision webcam and if so have you got it working correctly?

NoWorries

Comment

Arrg. Is there any chance that this is really a hardware issue? You seem to be doing the right thing. Pretty much the same steps you described got my Logitech webcam running just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1E3MZCULQBMVU

Sound is a bit metallic, but it's clear and with no interference. Do you know if alsa is running? I think the syntax is:

Code:
        sudo service alsa-utils start
        Another thing to try could be the Karmic beta live-cd, install skype on the fly and try. This is using the newest linux kernels (although still in beta). If it works, you are three weeks away from the solution

Sorry I don't have "the" solution, but I hope we'll get there!

Comment

Hi lmilano,

I ran the command to start the alsa-utils and this did not make any difference. Do you have the same web cam that I have? I have found that I cannot attach an mp3 file to illustrate the problem .

I have been thinking of trying 9.10 on my 32B machine next week as it will be close to RC1 and will therefore be worth a go.

NoWorries

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries
            Do you have the same web cam that I have? I have found that I cannot attach an mp3 file to illustrate the problem .
            Did you look up the amazon review I posted above? I have the Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX , this is a different logitech cam. I am a bit puzzled about alsa, was it not running? (I think it would throw an error if you try t start it when it is running). It seems as if your camera is not using alsa, at all. Which is fine, there are other sound drivers.

Oh well, we probably tried it all, let's hope it runs better in karmic (unless it is a hardware issue).

Keep it up!

Comment

Hi lmilano,

I did look up the amazon review and I thought that your web cam was related to advertising on amazon. I can assure you that my camera works perfectly on windows XP. I have installed 9.10 on my 32B desktop and Skype still gives the clicking sound. So I think that the problem is related to the kernel driver and this has not been fixed in the latest kernel.

NoWorries

Comment

I have been checking my web cam with Skype since all the updates to 9.10 and the kernel gives more frequent clicks >. In order to get a measurement of the difference with my 9.04 system, I ran Audacity on the 9.10 system and it only recorded 0.4s of sound from the microphone and the time line continued without any sign of the mic audio. Just a blank area with no horizontal line.

The only reason I keep Windows XP is for Skype. Currently, it looks as though it will be some time until Skype matches the Windows performance >.

NoWorries

Comment

Skype is performing fine here (audio, video, everything). If the only issue to leave XP behind is this one, you may wanna just by a mic and get done with it, or maybe a headset with a mic, it will have much better sound quality for sure (besides the annoying clicking sound)

Also, in my Del Mini, I had to play with the different input options. ainly Mixer -> Settings -> Configure channels and enable different inputs,etc. Maybe worth a look if you haven't.

Comment

I have found that the problem with clicks is an outstanding problem with some Logitech Web Cams. You can find this at: http://forums.quickcamteam.net/showt...p?tid=6&page=2.

I have found that Mixer -> Settings -> Configure Channels... on my system only gives the options for the microphone to Show/Hide the microphone. Fortunately I found that I could add base and treble control over my laptop Logitech speaker .

NoWorries

Comment

Working...
                    X