X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I force Dolphine to open Excel

Hi All,

I am running M$ Excel through wine. In Dolphin, I use "open with" and "remember", then go through the menus to "Wine", "Programs", and tell it to open using "Excel". It works, but I have to do it every time. It does not remember -- checked or not. What a pain. Do I need to write a script that opens it? Or, is there a way to Dolphin/KDE to do what I want directly.

Many thanks,
    -T

Re: How do I force Dolphine to open Excel

Geez, that sounds like the hard way ....

Are you sure you can't just open it with Open Office scalc, and then save it back to .xls when you're done with the file? :P

Comment

Yes, I believe you can do this, through SystemSettings > Advanced > File Associations > Applications

You will have to add an "x-wine-extension" item for .xls file types.
      It can be done, but it's going to take some experimenting to get it right.
      An easier way to go, if you must use Excel instead of scalc (which is a good deal faster) would be to create a menu item that opens excel, and open the file from Excel's menu.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

What doctordruiphd said...

use the "vnd.ms-excel" option and change the paramenters to "wine excel.exe"
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Geez, that sounds like the hard way ....

Are you sure you can't just open it with Open Office scalc, and then save it back to .xls when you're done with the file? :P
          Only if you want to borrow an explosives suite from the local bomb squad and a hearing protectors from those guys that direct airplanes at the air port. These users *can not* learn anything new. Been there, done that. Never, never, never want to go through that again. This is a half a loaf of bread vs a full loaf compromise.

-T

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            What doctordruiphd said...

use the "vnd.ms-excel" option and change the paramenters to "wine excel.exe"
            Hi Grey and Doctor,

Thank you!

-T

Comment

Originally posted by ToddAndMargo
              These users *can not* learn anything new.
              I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and assume you are working with the elderly or mentally disabled. Most people whom I would like to switch are simply too stubborn to learn anything new. They are capable of learning, but they don't want to.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                Originally posted by ToddAndMargo
                These users *can not* learn anything new.
                I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and assume you are working with the elderly or mentally disabled. Most people whom I would like to switch are simply too stubborn to learn anything new. They are capable of learning, but they don't want to.
                I have noticed that there is a certain class of user that has a window open once when they are learning to use computers. When this windows closes, it can never be reopened. If you push too hard, you get to meet their "inner bitch". Now the other class who rolls with the punches is a dream to work with. You just have to learn the difference between the two and pick which hill you are willing to die on.

I have changed Firefox's icon to the IE blue "E" before and that has worked. (Yes, it is hysterical to have them tell you that IE works just fine after using FF for two weeks.) Unfortunately, these uses pick up on Scalc not being Excel in about 8 seconds. Then the bitching, yelling, snarling, threatening begins ...

-T

Comment

My motto is, "If you think you are to old to learn, you probably always were".

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                    My motto is, "If you think you are to old to learn, you probably always were".
                    Especially if your mind keeps playing the "I think I can't" script over and over.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X