X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no more flash video after updates

Hi,

just today I found out that youtube clips or little games like on lego.nl don't show anymore.
    Nothing done except some surfing lately and the regular updates (had one of them to do with flash or so?)

So one of the these made some changes to the system that I want to undo or do I have to wait for another update?

Anyone else having the same problem?

Re: no more flash video after updates

Hi SnowMiss

Not here. All working ok.

To narrow down the problem: Do you know which browser/program you are using to access the WWW and which version it is ? (eg. Firefox 3.5.2 in my case).

Also, are you using some sort of blocking program (ie an AddOn) which could be stopping them?
    eg NoScript or FlashBlock in Firefox
    (Flashblock can also be installed outside of your browser if you installed updates recently).

What happens when you type at the command line (Konsole):
    dpkg -s adobe-flashplugin
    dpkg -s flashplugin-installer

Are they installed & if so what versions are installed?

Cheers

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by asdinnie
      Hi SnowMiss

Not here. All working ok.
      Done nothing today, except some surfing and surprisingly everything worked tonight.

To narrow down the problem: Do you know which browser/program you are using to access the WWW and which version it is ? (eg. Firefox 3.5.2 in my case).

Also, are you using some sort of blocking program (ie an AddOn) which could be stopping them?
      eg NoScript or FlashBlock in Firefox
      (Flashblock can also be installed outside of your browser if you installed updates recently).

What happens when you type at the command line (Konsole):

Are they installed & if so what versions are installed?

Cheers

Andy
      Thanx for the help offered, but there seems no reason left to search for the solution, since it magically resolved itself.

Note: I didn't update anything today!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowmiss
        Did you, however, reboot after your recent update? If you did, it is likely that something in the update required a reboot in order to complete and/or reload.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Originally posted by Snowmiss
          Did you, however, reboot after your recent update? If you did, it is likely that something in the update required a reboot in order to complete and/or reload.
          That's something I didn't thought about. Strange thing is, that this morning everything was working fine, and now youtube won't play videos again....

Comment

Hi SnowMiss

You have got me there.
            It sounds a little odd given how inconsistent it is. Normally its all or nothing.

Is there anything on your Kubuntu screen or the Panel (the bottom "taskbar") to indicate something is up?
            e.g Does the "i" button (Notifications and Jobs) on the RHS of the Panel say anything about updates or something else.

When the Flash does not come up within your browser: does it say anything in the browser screen about plugins or are there any "Tab" buttons on your webpages where the flash sections should be?

Are you coming through a corporate (business) connection or are you using your computer at home?
            (wondering if something like a firewall is blocking it - ie Youtube - periodically?)

Have you tried Removing and Reinstalling the Flash/Flash plugin?
            I am wondering if its a dodgy installation or some incorrect setting is causing the problem.

Also as I previously asked: do you know what browser/version is running and the version of Flash/how it is installed (eg. within Firefox or as a separate package within Kubuntu)?
            It might help to narrow down the problem.

Cheers

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by asdinnie
              Hi SnowMiss

You have got me there.
              It sounds a little odd given how inconsistent it is. Normally its all or nothing.
              It really is inconsistent. Yesterday was fine, today (better say now) it's nothing.

Is there anything on your Kubuntu screen or the Panel (the bottom "taskbar") to indicate something is up?
              e.g Does the "i" button (Notifications and Jobs) on the RHS of the Panel say anything about updates or something else.

When the Flash does not come up within your browser: does it say anything in the browser screen about plugins or are there any "Tab" buttons on your webpages where the flash sections should be?
              Nothing like that, the "i" button is grey, indicating that there is nothing doin' on. Browser doesn't report anything either, I just get a light grey area, where the video should be.

Are you coming through a corporate (business) connection or are you using your computer at home?
              (wondering if something like a firewall is blocking it - ie Youtube - periodically?)
              At home behind my router firewall, which isn't blocking anything important

Have you tried Removing and Reinstalling the Flash/Flash plugin?
              I am wondering if its a dodgy installation or some incorrect setting is causing the problem.
              Not done that, 'cause if it ain't broke don't fix it. But maybe it is broke...lol
              It sure wasn't because after I installed Jaunty I made some changes to display flash and play mp3's and some other multimedia stuff recommended on a Dutch site (which I had used before, and did the trick for me)

Also as I previously asked: do you know what browser/version is running and the version of Flash/how it is installed (eg. within Firefox or as a separate package within Kubuntu)?
              It might help to narrow down the problem.
              Maybe I should answer it now

I'm Using Firefox 3.0.14 with

- libnpjp2.so
              Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_16

- npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
              Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32

And the output for

- adobe-flashplugin not installed

- Source: flash-plugin-nonfree
              Version: 10.0.32.18ubuntu0.9.04.1

Thanx for helping so far.

Comment

Hi SnowMiss

I gather you are using a 64bit version of Kubuntu?
                (BTW its always handy to do a Search in these forums if you get stuck)

I do not use 64bit (only 32bit) and it might be incompatibility issues with flash and other libraries.

Appears that you are not the only one with Flash/64bit issues.
                See the following threads as other people are having the same issues as you:
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104508.0
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105622.0

It might be your libraries that are out of whack as I am not sure what "that Dutch site" you used said/did.

So I'd probably clean out your Flash install (including all the stray flash-related libraries) and start it again.
                This might do the honours for you as it is in one of the above posts (NB Installer Beware!):
                http://queleimporta.com/the-easiest-...tu-64-bits/en/

BTW I installed my Flash using the Flash options within Synaptic (from the distant parts of my memory).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Andy

Comment

Nothing done to resolve this flash thing yet.

But I do have a question: is it possible that everything will work ok when I upgrade this month to 9.10? or will this wacky thing be upgraded to (and get more wackier )

Comment

Tellya what I did. I got a little tired of running 32-bit flash in a 64-bit environment so I installed the 64-bit flash alpha available on Adobe's website and uninstalled flashplugin-installer so it wouldn't try to inflict the 32-bit version on me any more.

You can get the plugin here -

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

All you have to do is put libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

good luck -
                    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                    -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                    X