X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail, date and time of incoming e-mails

Hello everybody,

when I send an e-mail to a friend at 7:05 o'clock. Then he answers me half an hour later (7:35). But when I receive the mail the time in Kmail says 6:35 o'clock as arriving time. So one hour earlier. As far as I know this happens not with all mails and for example the mails I send show the right time. Probably this is due to different time-zones. But still I would like that kmail shows the time I receive the e-mail and not the time it was send....
    Does anybody know what settings I can/have to change

Thanks a lot
    Pinguin

Re: Kmail, date and time of incoming e-mails

Hello!

So finally I solved the problem myself.
    And of course: Kmail is working fine and the problem was because of stupidity on my side...
    I had the wrong time zone on my computer.
    Anyway; at least I understood now how the times in e-mail programs are working.

Apparently the e-mail program recognizes the UTC-time of the mail and the adds or subtracts the hours which are different in your time-zone. Seems easy, logic, and it is working!

By the way, I was not able to change the time-zone in the System Settings, but with:
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
    it is possible.

Thanks everybody for reading and thinking about this!
    Have a nice week
    bye Pinguin

Comment

Re: Kmail, date and time of incoming e-mails

Pinguin

You should be able to visually change the Timezone et al by using the KDE System Settings options, if you feel like not using the command line as you eventually did.

So if it did not work for you (reading your second msg):
      - Did you press the APPLY button if you could not change it the first time?
      - Else did you have more than one time zone selected?

BTW You can also right-click the clock on the RHS of the Panel and modify the settings there (Digital clock settings | Time Zones). Handy if you are using multiple time zones and only need to change that.

Cheers

Andy

Comment

Working...
      X