Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

krusader file browser failing - options?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

krusader file browser failing - options?

After the last series of updates (done by me last night), my installation of the Krusader file browser crashes at startup. I went to file a bug at bugs.kde.org, and was told that I wasn't running an updated version of KDE and should update it before filing a bug report. But there appears not to be a more uptodate package to install.

Now what do I do?

(Am running Kubuntu 9.0.4, and KDE 4.2.2, and all update packages available have been installed.)

Thanks for any help.

t.

Re: krusader file browser failing - options?

Originally posted by tomcloyd
    (Am running Kubuntu 9.0.4, and KDE 4.2.2, and all update packages available have been installed.)
    KDE 4.2.2!? You are not running the latest version, and maybe that is the crux of many of your issues. You should be running KDE 4.3.1. That you are not, implies that you don't have the correct repositories in your sources.list.

See Kubuntu PPA and Kubuntu Backports PPA
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Am running Kubuntu 9.04, and KDE 4.2.2, and all update packages available have been installed.
      Me too and Krusader 2.0.0 works without problem on my two different computers.
      I did not try to install anything from PPA, did you?
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Originally posted by tomcloyd
        KDE 4.2.2!? You are not running the latest version, and maybe that is the crux of many of your issues. You should be running KDE 4.3.1. That you are not, implies that you don't have the correct repositories in your sources.list.

See Kubuntu PPA and Kubuntu Backports PPA
        OK - thanks for the info., although it's unclear to me how I'd have incorrect repositories. I'm just using what Synaptic provides. So...I did the command line check recommended at the page you sent me to, with this result, which I don't know enough to interpret, although it looks more or less OK:

Code:
        $ gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 2836CB0A8AC93F7A
        gpg: requesting key 8AC93F7A from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
        gpg: key 8AC93F7A: public key "Launchpad Kubuntu Updates" imported
        gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
        gpg: Total number processed: 1
        gpg:        imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
        tomc@tomc-desktop:~/Documents/a_tasks-new/A-PP-db$ gpg --export --armor 2836CB0A8AC93F7A | sudo apt-key add -
        [sudo] password for tomc:
        OK
        tomc@tomc-desktop:~/Documents/a_tasks-new/A-PP-db$
        What should I do now, if anything?

Thanks much for your assistance.

t.

Comment

I was in error on my last reply re: the version of KDE in Juanty. KDE 4.2.x is the version that ships with Juanty.

I am running KDE 4.3.1, but not running Juanty. If you don't want to upgrade to KDE 4.3.1 at this time, edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and comment out:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu
          http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu

that you added. The gpg key you added does no harm - it can remain.

After you have commented the two entries, save and close the file. Then, from the CLI, run:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          This will refresh the package cache.

But, if you want to move up to KDE 4.3.1, then leave the sources.list file as is. Open a console and run:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            I was in error on my last reply re: the version of KDE in Juanty. KDE 4.2.x is the version that ships with Juanty.
            I was wandering about that.......but I went and did the backport thing and now have KDE 4.3.1

but dowing the upgeade in kpackagekit had 74 updates held back....(all the new kde4.3.1 apps)

and a re boot and login got me stuck with a wallpaper and nothing elce.... not even alt>F2 and
            ctrl>alt>F6 would give me a CLI but I just couldent seam to get the wireless up so that wasent going to help

finaley I just loged in to gnome and then finished the upgrade with apt-get dist-upgrade and that got it.

I think 4.2.2 was a little ..?..?........snapeyer .....more stable....?....? I somtimes get artafacts left on screen now........some times.

but hay I can put diferent wallpaper's on diferent sides of the 3Dcube now :P

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I think you installed some improper (newer) library as dependency along with some upgrade, maybe Firefox. If your only problem is Krusader and you installed it only for root access to files I think the most simply way is temporarily not to use Krusader and for example learn to use root mode of Dolphin running from shell. Then you can wait till upgrade to stable Karmic and you will get new Krusader and all new libraries automatically. Or you can follow recommendations and do all upgrades with PPA now.
              Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Thanks. I don't absolutely have to have Krusader, and I don't have time to work through the problems. Will stay with Dolphin. I use sudo there all the time.

~t

Comment

using

Code:
                  sudo dolphin
                  will eventualey bork your /home/you/.kde

use

Code:
                  kdesudo dolphin
                  VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Really? Ditto for any KDE program?

Comment

Basically, yes.

See FAQ: Root Password by Rog131

Comment

Working...
                      X