This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved - Open Office 3.1.1

I had Open office 3.1 running on Jaunty with no problems. Then I installed 3.1.1 over the top of it using the PPA. That resulted in an Open Office banner and nothing more; running the command from command prompt showed a "Bus Error".

From there I uninstalled all things Open Office and downloaded the .debs from the Open Office website. I uncompressed them from the download directory per the instructions on another Open Office thread and then "installed" the Debs. I then went into the "desktop-integration" directory and did the same thing per the instructions. Now Open Office fires up, asks what I want to do (Word document, Spreadsheet, etc.). Once selected, the application (any of them) give an error about needing to recover a document, "Yes or Cancel" and becomes stuck in a loop of "unable to recover document".

Any ideas?
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Re: Open Office 3.1.1

remove and purge everything you have again. First by KpackageKit, than by konsole sudo apt-get remove openoffice*.*
    Delete any hidden folder of open office from your /home folder and aywhere else it could be on the drive.

Add do sourceslist:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

via konsole:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 247D1CFF

(it takes long, LONG, long time....)

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It will probably go to standard 3.1 which is OK. I have very similar problem like you with Latest Firefox 3.5 and their latest version is too annoying. I fixed every problem after removing 3.5 and went back to version 3.1

More info on OO here:
    http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/05/...tu-jaunty.html
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala AMD64bit Acer Aspire 7520

Comment

@birkopf -
      I followed your suggestions but sudo apt-get update,
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade did NOT install any OpenOffice, 3.1 or otherwise. Did I miss something?
      Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Well, once new repos are added and list is refreshed by spt-get update, after few seconds OO3.1 should be available for install. You said you had before OO3.1 so possibly repos were already there. Go to KPackageKit (Software Installer) There will be 3 options on the left: Software management, Software updates, Settings. In Software Updates try "refresh" if OO3.1 will come there next button "apply all software updates". It's good to install all updates anyway. If it won't go to first one (Soft. Management) and search for openoffice. Choose openoffice.org-base-core, openoffice.org-core, try to find also spreadsheet, writer, presentation. Idea is - Once core is selected to install - installer should suggest all required packages and full openoffice suite will be installed.
        Kubuntu Karmic Koala AMD64bit Acer Aspire 7520

Comment

Re: Solved - Open Office 3.1.1

A complete Open Office delete and reload using KPackagekit solved the problem.

Thanks for the help birkopf

Comment

Working...
          X