• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going around in circles

I am struggling with setting up kubuntu as a web server
    I have managed to enable apache, php & mysql

I wanted to enable phpmyadmin but it reports:
    "A package dependency could not be found.
    Remove the package libgd2-noxpm before"

However when I try to remove the requested package I get the following problem:
    "A package dependency could not be found.
    Error removing libgd2-noxpm: E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages"

Where to from here?

Re: going around in circles

I haven't tried to install a webserver in Kubuntu, but I've done it the other way around. It is trivial to install the Ubuntu edition and then add KDE desktop after that. The server edition gives several server choices at install time and that takes care of all the dependencies. This is a nice, clean, foolproof way to do it, but I can understand that you might want to keep an existing Kubuntu install.

Comment

Yeah, if this is intended to be a real web server (as opposed to a sandbox), I'd recommend installing Ubuntu Server and avoid the overhead of running X. But this presupposes you're comfortable at the command line.

Comment

No its not a "real" web server - it is a development platform.
        and no I'm not that familiar with linux. I can do stuff I know at the command line but my background is windows.
        I'm actually running it in a Sun VirtualBox so I can boot it when I need it.
        I just would like this to work.

Comment

OK, so if you don't have a Kubuntu installation that you need protect, then I strongly recommend that you download the Ubutu Server edition. It works right out of the box. You shouldn't normally have to deal with dependencies unless you're doing something fancy or you went up the wrong path - which may have been what happened.

Comment

Working...
          X