X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to reinstall network?

Hi All,

I accidentally uninstalled my "network" trying to uninstall and reinstall kppp. So I can not get to the Internet. Is there a way to mount my install D and reinstall my network?

Many thanks,
    -T

Re: how to reinstall network?

Is it a wired network? If so, you don't really need the network manager, just follow my instructions here.:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

If you want to reinstall network manager You can do that by uncommenting the lines in your sources.list file pertaining to the cdrom and install from your cd. If you need help doing that, post back.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
      Is it a wired network? If so, you don't really need the network manager, just follow my instructions here.:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

If you want to reinstall network manager You can do that by uncommenting the lines in your sources.list file pertaining to the cdrom and install from your cd. If you need help doing that, post back.
      I thought I could figure it out on my own, but ....

Comment

If you are referring to the LiveCD as an accessible "repository", that should still exist, assuming you didn't comment it out.

Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo cat /etc/apt/sources.list
        Towards the top of the list you should see a line referencing cdrom. If it doesn't hava a # in front of it, that repository is still 'active.' If it does have a # in front, then it is commented, and not active. You'll have to edit the file (as root) in order to remove the # sign and make it active. Then you would, in a console, type:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        As you don't have an internet connection, it will read the available packages from the CDROM (make sure you have the LiveCD in the drive before you issue the command).
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          If you are referring to the LiveCD as an accessible "repository", that should still exist, assuming you didn't comment it out.

Open a console and type:
          Code:
          sudo cat /etc/apt/sources.list
          Towards the top of the list you should see a line referencing cdrom. If it doesn't hava a # in front of it, that repository is still 'active.' If it does have a # in front, then it is commented, and not active. You'll have to edit the file (as root) in order to remove the # sign and make it active. Then you would, in a console, type:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          As you don't have an internet connection, it will read the available packages from the CDROM (make sure you have the LiveCD in the drive before you issue the command).
          How do I tell it to reinstall everything that is missing? "Apt-get install *" does not work

Comment

Once you have the cd active as a repository, with the CD in your CD drive, issue the following two commands.

Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            Then

Code:
            sudo apt-get install network-manager-kde

Comment

Code:
              root@VB-KUbuntu:/etc/apt# apt-get update
              Ign cdrom://Kubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1) jaunty/main Translation-en_US
              Ign cdrom://Kubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1) jaunty/restricted Translation-en_US
              Reading package lists... Done

root@VB-KUbuntu:/etc/apt# apt-get install network-manager-kde
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              Package network-manager-kde is not available, but is referred to by another package.
              This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
              is only available from another source
              E: Package network-manager-kde has no installation candidate
              What am I missing?

Comment

oh poop. I just noticed my eth0 is gone too (ifconfig). My Virtual Box console says it is there too.

How do I do what they call in Windows an "in place reinstall"? It is easy to install, but I don not want to loose everything I have configured.

Many thanks,
                -T

Comment

I don't think you edited the sources file correctly. Run

Code:
                  cat /etc/apt/sources.list
                  in a terminal and post the results here. Hang in there, we'll figure this out.

ifconfig only shows active interfaces, to see all interfaces run

Code:
                  ifconfig -a

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                    I don't think you edited the sources file correctly. Run

Code:
                    cat /etc/apt/sources.list
                    in a terminal and post the results here. Hang in there, we'll figure this out.

ifconfig only shows active interfaces, to see all interfaces run

Code:
                    ifconfig -a
                    "-a" worked. It is there. Thank you!

I got tired of all the hassling messages about what could not be found, so I make a backup copy of sources.list and then created this:
                    Code:
                    cat sources.list
                    deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)]/ jaunty main restricted
                    # See [url]http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes[/url] for how to upgrade to
                    # newer versions of the distribution.
                    The top line was created with "apt-cdrom"

Comment

I do not mind reinstalling, as long as I do not wipe everything out

Comment

OK run update and install again, if it doesn't work this time, try
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install knetworkmanager

Comment

You can run the CD again to repair the install if all else fails. That's one of the options listed. What I'm thinking is, that the network manager may not be on the cd, but during the install process, Kubuntu establishes the connection and downloads it. I'm not sure, I thought it was on the CD.

Comment

Code:
                            root@VB-KUbuntu:/etc/apt# apt-get update
                            Ign cdrom://Kubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1) jaunty/main Translation-en_US
                            Ign cdrom://Kubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1) jaunty/restricted Translation-en_US

root@VB-KUbuntu:/etc/apt# apt-get install knetworkmanager
                            Building dependency tree
                            Package knetworkmanager is not available, but is referred to by another package.
                            However the following packages replace it:
                             network-manager-kde
                            E: Package knetworkmanager has no installation candidate

root@VB-KUbuntu:/etc/apt# apt-get install network-manager-kde
                            Building dependency tree
                            Package network-manager-kde is not available, but is referred to by another package.
                            E: Package network-manager-kde has no installation candidate

Comment

I hate to repetitive, but if you follow my instructions in the howto I posted earlier, you would be connected by now. It's really not complicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X