Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved... sort of] Plasma Widgets gone after update/reboot...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved... sort of] Plasma Widgets gone after update/reboot...

Hi,
    I just ran some updates and rebooted, and to my surprise my screen was just filled with this bluish-white bubble-artwork of KDE 4.2 - all my widgets, including App. Launcher and Taskbar were gone and my desktop wallpaper too!
    It's like all my Plasma-settings were deleted.

Does anyone else experience this after update/reboot?

For now I added the most essential widgets and it seems to work fine, but I would like to get my previous configuration back, since I spend quite some time optimizing it...

Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Choptick

Re: Plasma Widgets gone after update/reboot...

I had an error similar to these after attempting to use Kpackage Kit to update to KDE 4.3, I had to runt he rest of the updates with Synaptic package manger in order to get it all working properly.

Did you have any blocked updates, if so you might want to try using synaptic to apply all the rest of the updates.
    Systemax PC<br />CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 4400<br />RAM: 3 GB DDR2 800 (PC2-6400)<br />Display: Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS<br />Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I already did exactly what you say, i.e. look for blocked updates in Synaptic, but there was nothing.
      Actually I'm using Synaptic most of the time, except for the auto-updates; I find Kpackageit somewhat unreliable.

Comment

hmmm I'm not sure then hopefully somebody else can be more helpful to you.
        Systemax PC<br />CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 4400<br />RAM: 3 GB DDR2 800 (PC2-6400)<br />Display: Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS<br />Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

what sort of updates are we talking about here ?
          and what is your current version of kde?
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

A standard automated update... I'm not sure for what. Nothing big.

My KDE version is 4.2.4 (before and after update...).

Synaptic does not show any upgradeable packages at the moment.

I already tried to reinstall kubuntu desktop and Plasma but to no avail.

Comment

Hi. Did you try sudo dpkg --configure -a ? Maybe some packages didn't fully install. I used to have problems doing updates with the notifier but stopped using it and just use terminal with the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade command and I've not had a problem since doing an update.
              Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

I had the same problem.. I solve with:

sudo aptitude full-upgrade

Using safe-upgrade didn't work for me

Best greetings!

Comment

Thanks for your input, guys.

I performed the same update on my office computer (same configuration), and nothing happened...
                  appears to be pretty random...

On my laptop I've already set up a new plasma environment, so it's solved but not the most elegant way...

@ eddieg780: I tried "fix broken packages" - that should be equivalent.

@ idhan: I'm using synaptic, and it usually works just fine (much better than the default KDE app!)

Chopstick

Comment

Working...
                  X