X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System suspends while watching movie

Hi,
    I am using Kaffeine (because Dragon player doesn't load subtitles in .srt) to watch movies, but the system suspends each 15 minutes.

I have deactivated all power management and screen saver options I have found in system settings, but problem persists.

Any idea how may I configure the system to not suspend while using Kaffeine or browser flash videos?

Thanks!

Re: System suspends while watching movie

You can turn off suspend completely. Try system settings - advanced - session manager

It is possibly due to a power saving feature - are you using a notebook, running on mains or battery?
    There are a number of places to check the power management features.

Finally, have you tried another media player such as VLC to see if the problem persists?
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Thanks Kevin.

I am not using a laptop, so it should not be a battery event.

I will try with VLC tonight and comment you.

Comment

I had the same annoying problem when watching movies or Hulu. I created a new power profile with everything disabled and it works perfectly. I think I had to reboot before it worked the first time. Navigate to System Settings/Advanced/Power Management/Edit Profiles. I called my profile "Watching Movies". I turned off everything under Actions, Screen and CPU. When I want to watch a movie from my couch I turn on the profile and relax. No more annoying screen timeout.
        linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

I've experienced the same problem watching a movie with kaffeine, but it was just a blacked screen, not a suspend.

Solution: Open a shell, type "xset -dpms" and for the rest of your session you should have no black screen after 15 minutes.

Comment

I use Jaunty with 2.6.31 kernel, but it isn't perfect. With the 2.6.28 kernel, my Intel video card works very slowly, and when I tried Karmic alpha, it was much better. So I installed Karmic on another computer, and copied the kernel to my Jaunty, and configured Grub for it. Now my graphics works better, but the splash screen, WiFi and hibernation don't. So I just have to use the old kernel if I use wifi, but since I mostly use my computer at home, I don't really need it now.

Comment

Thank you Kongas.

I tried to type "xset -dpms" and seem to be the only valid solution.

Any idea of how to solve this using KDE system settings so I do not have to do on each session?

Comment

Originally posted by diminuto
                Any idea of how to solve this using KDE system settings so I do not have to do on each session?
                System Settings -> Display -> Power Control -> uncheck "Enable display power management"

Comment

Working...
                X