X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 for Jaunty?

Hi All

I have found the PPA for OpenOffice.org Scribblers at https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa

Its also available for Jaunty as well as for Karmic!
    Being a consistent OOo user most days the newer 3.1 releases would be good for me.

Has anyone used the 3.1.x releases from this PPA?
    The admins look like sound long-term Ubuntu contributors from what I can see.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Re: OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 for Jaunty?

I have 3.1 installed from that PPA. I had no problems and from what little I use oo I have found it quicker and prettier than 3.0.

With that said, from home I only write the occasional document, create simple spreadsheets, and an occasional presentation. I haven't converted any foreign formats or created anything overly complex.
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

i just upgraded my 3.1 to 3.1.1 and its broke. Terminal shows a "bus error". I don't have time to mess with it right now. Take your chances.
      Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Thanks Marlin.

Installer beware.
        I'll wait until they get a fixed version of 3.1.1. !

Cheers

Andy

Comment

What is wrong with downloading the debs from Openoffice.org?

cd into the extracted directory and then:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

and then cd into the desktop integration directory and run the same dpkg command.

I used to have fits installing openoffice from launchpad ppa's, especially 3.0 when running intrepid.

Installing the debs from openoffice.org has been very smooth so far.

Comment

Originally posted by ssri
            What is wrong with downloading the debs from Openoffice.org?
            snip
            Installing the debs from openoffice.org has been very smooth so far.
            I agree. I've installed and updated the .debs from Openoffice.org in jaunty on 2 different machines and on an eeepc 900. I've done this since 3.0 and it's worked flawlessly except for some theme-related ugliness in jaunty. 3.1 is significant in that there is now antialiasing which is great for presentations... 3.1.1 seems a little quicker, but otherwise not too different from 3.1 as you'd expect.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X