This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't drag window between virtual desktops 2 and 3

Hello. I have an install of Kubuntu going, and am unable to drag windows between virtual desktops 2 and 3, or my last (highest count) virtual desktop and virtual desktop 1. Is there a setting that allows me to do this? Windows drag without issue between virtual desktops 1 & 2 and desktops 3 & 4. It's not a huge issue, but is definitely a minor annoyance.

Thank you.

Re: Can't drag window between virtual desktops 2 and 3

(This is with the KDE 4.2)

Turning on: System Settings > Window Behavior > |Advanced tab| > Active Desktop Borders (Only when moving windows)

The "Window Moving" is using the desktop borders and the movement from the desktop to the desktop is configured by the "Pager" settings.

If the Pager has: "Number of rows:1"

Then the active desktop borders are the top and the bottom borders. Available movements are 1->2->3->4->1... or 1->4->3->2->1->4...

If the Pager has: "Number of rows:2"

Then all the desktop borders are active. Available movements are 1->2 & 1-> 3, 2->1 & 2->4, 3->1 & 3->4, 4->2 & 4->3.

With the: "Number of rows:3" you could drag a window between the desktops 2 and 3 but not between 3 and 4.

If you click the window border there will (should) be a menu: "To desktop: All desktops/Desktop 1/ Desktop 2/..."
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

And another option would be setting mouse scrolling on window titlebar to move windows to another desktop (will also work inside a window with "Alt+scroll"). The setting is in systemsettings>window behavior>titlebar actions>titlebar scrolling

Comment

Ok, the issue seems to have resolved itself. I don't know what was causing the problem.

Rog131, my pager showed a single row of 4 desktops while having the problem, so a 2->3 and 3->2 should have worked given my understanding of available movements.

Interestingly enough, I installed a new graphics card yesterday evening (replacing my 7600 GS with GTS 250). This morning I uninstalled the graphics card drivers for the 7600 GS, and installed new drivers for the GTS (same version, so essentially a re-installation of drivers). After booting up I found to my surprise that with the GTS 250 and drivers, dragging windows across virtual desktops works exactly as I would expect it to. I can even go between 4->1 and 1->4 now. I wonder if it is something with the 7600 GS, or if something weird happened with my drivers during my original installation. Either way I wouldn't have expected graphics drivers to affect movement between virtual desktops.

Comment

Working...
        X