X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kernel 2.6.31

Originally posted by vinnywright
    HUMmmmm I gess I'll just keep playing with the karmic cd's then and leave my beautifully working jackalope alone .......... 8)

for now......

VINNY
    I still have my Jaunty partition, although Karmic Alpha has been running so well, up until yesterday's updates to the .31-10 kernel and xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.2.8.1.1 driver, that I spend ALL of my time in it.

One can always do "some" testing by burning and running the alpha/beta daily livecD, but it is a lot easier just to install it on a partition and keep up with the updates. When Karmic goes Gold, and IF the video display performance is restored to the PPA bleeding edge level (which was rock sold stable, fast and gave a minimum of 3D distortions, then I will wipe my 40GB partion, install Karmic on my primary partition and when the next release goes alpha I will put it on the 40GB partition. IF karmic continues to give my GM45 chip problems then I wills stay with Jaunty and pin it's video driver, and continue updating Karmic on my 40GB partition until the Intel video driver problems for my GM45 chip are resolved to the levels it was with the PPA fixes.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hey Dibl, "not gonna happen" is no biggy, but it does affects my timing for switching to Karmic! Pro, con, pro, con, now, later, now, how much later, today, tomorrow.

My head hurts :-X
      Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Originally posted by Marlin
        Hey Dibl, "not gonna happen" is no biggy, but it does affects my timing for switching to Karmic! Pro, con, pro, con, now, later, now, how much later, today, tomorrow.

My head hurts :-X
        if your machine that you plan to put karmic on is a production machine (as is it needs to work 100% ) then i would wait untill the relase of karmic(or dual boot) , now if the machine does not to 100% work and you like to fiddle around w/ your machine to get somethings to work (if nessessary) then i would run a live cd and check to make sure you get enuff working so that you can use the machine as normal. (my server will say jaunty till prolly november or so). my desktop will stay jaunty untill the first beta comes out. again this is just suggestion. if you have any worrries wait untill karmic is released.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Ya, I am thinking first Beta, but my trigger finger is a git'n real itchy. Boy! That gets me into a lot of trouble.
          Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Originally posted by Marlin
            Ya, I am thinking first Beta, but my trigger finger is a git'n real itchy. Boy! That gets me into a lot of trouble.
            I say "just do it!". There's no feeling quite as satisfying as recovering your broken system from a premature upgrade!

(well, maybe being shot at and missed ....).

Comment

I played with my Jaunty partition for a bit just to have a feel for it again, since I hadn't run it since Karmic Alpha4 was released, so I could compare it with Karmic's .31 kernel. I find that the .31 kernel is significantly faster than the .30 kernel in Jaunty.

My problems with GoogleEarth and Stellairum crashing may be either the 2.2.8.1.1 Intel driver, the .31 kernel, or a combination of both. I'm still trying to isolate the problems. Anyway, Karmic is still runnng well enough that I am going to continue to use it. I don't use Stellarium or GoogleEarth that much to merit not running Karmic. Besides, my mech warrior in SecondLife still runs beautifully, so I have all the gaming I need.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Stop tempting me! It's working!

Comment

On the .31 kernel......

In the ubuntu forum intel video fix thread located here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

You will see a reference to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline

The full wget link is to the .30 kernel but on checking the directory it has every kernel there so, theoretically at least you could change the instructions there from to .30 download and install the .31 kernel. I'm already running the .30 kernel. Don't know what the effect will be of running the .31 kernel in Jaunty but I suspect I will know very soon

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

My problems with GoogleEarth and Stellairum crashing may be either the 2.2.8.1.1 Intel driver, the .31 kernel, or a combination of both.
                    Yep, I think it's the Intel driver. GoogleEarth is running fine here on nVidia hardware & driver.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                      On the .31 kernel......

In the ubuntu forum intel video fix thread located here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582
                      Ya, I used that reference to fix my Jaunty acceleration performance and it works beautifully. However, for Karmic, it is a different story. Karmic on my installation does not generate an xorg.conf file at all. I have no clue as to what would happen if I created one and put all the

Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
                      Option "EXAOptimizeMigration" "true"
                      Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

stuff in it. Would the presence of xorg.conf nullify automatically configured parameters? Would the script fixmtrr.sh have to be installed. In other words, what does the new intel video driver have in it that makes any of this stuff unnecessary, and what still needs to be manually adjusted?

You will see a reference to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline

The full wget link is to the .30 kernel but on checking the directory it has every kernel there so, theoretically at least you could change the instructions there from to .30 download and install the .31 kernel. I'm already running the .30 kernel. Don't know what the effect will be of running the .31 kernel in Jaunty but I suspect I will know very soon
                      The 2.6.31-10-generic kernel is not listed. The latest is 2.6.31-rc9.

Comment

Whatdoyaknow!

Keep applying those updates and things miraculously straighten out!

Neither GoogleEarth nor Stellarium crash my xserver any more. At lest they didn't when I tried them just know.

Some of the hires graphics (2nd page stuff) is pretty messy. But at least SL works beautifully.

Comment

Working...
                        X