This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel 2.6.31

This version of the kernel looks like it will be a big help to me. Any WAGs as to when this will become available to Kubuntu from the repos?
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Re: Kernel 2.6.31

It is available to 9.10 users now.

What new capability or feature are you hoping for? Just curious -- I don't see any dramatic difference when run on my hardware (which is admittedly not the latest stuff).

FYI, VMWare Player and Server have mouse/keyboard problems with 2.6.31, which are not yet resolved.

Comment

For those of us who are, hmmmm, shall we say memory constrained, a significant speed upgrade can be expected. http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...sktop?rid=-219
      Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Aha -- well, I didn't know that, but it doesn't affect my rig which has lots of memory.

You could burn a Live CD of the daily build, and try it:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

Let us know how it works.

Comment

Running Karmic:
          jerry@SonyK910:~$ uname -a
          Linux SonyK910 2.6.31-9-generic #29-Ubuntu SMP Sun Aug 30 17:39:26 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          jerry@SonyK910:~$
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yep, and as of this evening, yet another kernel:

Code:
            dibl@karmic:~$ lsb_release -a
            No LSB modules are available.
            Distributor ID: Ubuntu
            Description:  Ubuntu karmic (development branch)
            Release:    9.10
            Codename:    karmic
            dibl@karmic:~$ uname -a
            Linux karmic 2.6.31-10-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Tue Sep 8 12:32:38 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

sorey to jump in hear but what am I mising??

all you big dogs (vets,overlords,mods) seam to be runing karmic !!!!

is it ok for the mases now?? the alpha 5 did ok as live cd for me ..........heck the alpha 5 netbook did real good load wise just a few querks.

I'v ben doing all my updates as thay come in but im still at a

vinny@desktop:~$ uname -a
              Linux desktop 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 18:40:08 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
              vinny@desktop:~$ lsb_release -a
              No LSB modules are available.
              Distributor ID: Ubuntu
              Description: Ubuntu 9.04
              Release: 9.04
              Codename: jaunty
              vinny@desktop:~$
              so how do I OR should I upgrade to Karmic??

I dont mind being a giney pig for a upgrade test if no one's tride a apt-get upgrade yet ......LOL
              or ya think I should just wate for the ofishall relece for that. :P

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

the 2.6.31 kernel is only available on karmic. It does have some nice features, like built-in support (at least partial) for creative-X-Fi sound cards. There still seem to be a few unresolved problems, though each update gets closer.
                I would not suggest that you run this as your only system, or that you upgrade your jaunty installation if it is your only system. Some things still don't work properly, and some things work strangely.
                We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Vinny, it works just fine for me, except for one thing - VMWare has a keyboard and mouse problem on the 2.6.31 kernel. If you need VMWare to work, then 2.6.31 is not for you (yet).

Audio works great, nVidia driver 190.18.03 looks beautiful, scanner and printer and Firefox/Flash all work fine.

So .... you pays your money (or not) and you takes your chances!

Comment

I install Karmic at Alpha4, primarily to try out its 64bit version. I have been VERY impressed. As of the latest updates (but not the kernel dibl is talking about, yet...) Karmic is running better than any distro I've used in the past. Part of that is due to the performance improvements of the 64bit over the 32bit, and part is due to the improvements in the Xorg drivers for the GM45 video chip that is in my notebook, and the biggest part is due to the improved performance that KDE4.3.1 brings to KDE. Absolutely awesome distro. I pealed 40GB off my 250GB HD to test it out. I have Jaunty on the rest of the HD, but I haven't been in Jaunty for about a month.

EDIT:
                    I did the upgrade today, which included the .31.-10 kernel and xorg intel server. Some steps forward, but mostly backwards. All in all, the updates caused more problems than it solved. I have some investigations to do and bugzilla reports to make.

a) GoogleEarth hangs very easily, forcing a MagicKeys reboot. When it doesn't hang it often causes a reset of the Xserver, kicking back to the KDE4 login screen.

b) The three PenumbraCollect games will get only as far as the "Loading..." screen and then it hangs, forcing a MagicKeys reboot.

c) Stellarium, which was working perfectly, now gives garbled configuration screens which are unusable. Fortunately, it is already configured, and the star field navigation works beautifully.

d) Dolphin hangs and crashes on occasions.

First I am going to boot back into the .31-9 kernel and see if the problems persist.

EDIT:

Trying the .31.-9 kernel did not help the video driver crashes. It seems the fault lies with the xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.8.1-1ubuntu1 upgrade. Now I need to downgrade to the previous version, what ever version it was.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

i can't wait as an ati user, but i'm currently still on jaunty
                      [code= urname -r]
                      Linux void 2.6.28-14-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Sat Jul 25 01:19:55 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                      [/code](2.6.28-15 == bad time w/ my ATI RaideonHD 4830 v.card)

i will hop over to karmic when it hits beta, i will do a full install and use it untill i upgrade to the release. i am also sure to grab my self all the dbg packages so i can submit useful bug reports. (if any)since my data is all stored remotely(nfs) its kinda like a no cost ordeal,i just put my configs back where they belong and everything works nicely.
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Karmic is running better than any distro I've used in the past.
                        Tried saving any files in OOo lately?
                        I can't save any files with mixed text and graphics.

Also some things that work in jaunty with wine (same version) do not work in karmic.

Just fair warning.

Edit: OK, I recant the part about OOo. As of last weekend, it wasn't working. As of right now, it is. But the wine problem is still there.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

HUMmmmm I gess I'll just keep playing with the karmic cd's then and leave my beautifully working jackalope alone .......... 8)

for now......

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

So, this was all good conversation but I didn't find out what I really wanted to know!

Will the new kernel be backported to Jaunty? If so, when?

Any ideas? Any (W)ild (A)ss (G)uesses?

Comment

I'll venture a Sophisticated WAG -- a SWAG.

It is sophisticated because I went looking through the prior version backport repositories:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid-backports/

and

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy-backports/

and there are no kernels in there. Therefore, my SWAG is "not gonna happen". Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X