This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ktorrent upsets Ethernet

I have just started using Ktorrent after figuring out how to use it and it seems to be upsetting my ethernet connection. About once every hour I return to find the machine has been booted of the network. Hoping someone can shed some light as downloading media is one of the reasons I like linux over windows. System has been up for a month now and windows is almost gone except for one program, which I am hoping wmware will cure.

Re: Ktorrent upsets Ethernet

I only use Ktorrent occasionally, although I'm using it now, and it seems to be well behaved. I wonder if this is not a problem with your ISP rather thatn Ktorrent. Some providers apparently reset the connection regularly on certain kinds of protocols. Is it really off the net, ie do you really have to restart your connection, or do you just have to restart the torrent?

Comment

I lose my ethernet connection and have to restart the lan as I lose all internet, however I have only just started using Ktorrent and am not used to it. I am pretty sure I have isolated the problem as firestarter firewall, it activates on boot and I have to disable it as i have had major dramas trying to get it to learn rules. I get no net at all if its fully operational. If I turn it off completely Ktorrent has run for 24 hours now stable as. AT the end of the day its still blows XP out the window by a country mile, I just need to reeducate myself

Comment

I understand now. Sorry I can't help you. I've never run an internal firewall. Perhaps using a router, which usually has a firewall built in, would be an easy fix. I think a router is useful, even if you only run one computer and don't use the built in switch. BTW, if you do have a router, then AFAIK it is not recommended to use a second firewall because they have to work properly together and that creates other problems. Good luck!

Comment

Ktorrent's nice use it almost evey day !!

Keep in mind most ISP's monetor for torrent trafick on the default port's 6881....I think.... go to the setings and change to somthing in the 40000-50000 range

and then reset it evrey now and then if you see that your not geting the speed's your used to..(the ISP may throtel you back)

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
            Ktorrent's nice use it almost evey day !!

Keep in mind most ISP's monetor for torrent trafick on the default port's 6881....I think.... go to the setings and change to somthing in the 40000-50000 range

and then reset it evrey now and then if you see that your not geting the speed's your used to..(the ISP may throtel you back)

VINNY
            I like using the WoW port since it's not abnormal for lots of traffic to flow on it
            # make install --not-war

Comment

I like using the WoW port since it's not abnormal for lots of traffic to flow on it Grin
              .............and what port is that?

AND how dos WoW run for you in linux ........I assume under wine?

I love that game but havent played in a wile and never in linux so do tell how to!!

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
              X