This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apendable data DVD's

So I gess we'v all expereanced the fact that a blank DVD/cd dosent give notafacation of being inserted but is thare in your burning app of choise.

yesterday I'm going thrue my DVD's and put in a data DVD that wasent closed so more data could be added later.
    But apone inserting it nothing hapend so I figure mabey sence it was apendable mabey I half to acsess it thrue K3b and K3b did see the disk but when clicking the disk I get a error that K3b cant mount the disk?

eney ideas?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Re: Apendable data DVD's

OK so I put the disk in queshton in my old box (the one it was made on)runing Kubuntu 9.04
    and it's picked up and seen by the device notafier and dolphin opens it fine

back to the new box (the one that dosent see the data) runing Kubuntu 9.04 and login to gnome whare the disk is picked up........as a blank DVD ?

now back to KDE 4.2.2 and same as in the OP.

now I cant decide wether I'v got a hardware ishue (mabey) or mising file system suport?

eney one !!

VINNY
    16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
      now I cant decide wether I'v got a hardware ishue (mabey) or mising file system suport?
      I do not know what may be wrong, but it looks like you are on the right track. When optical drives get old they may become picky about reading discs burned in other drives.

Is there a file greater than 2 gigabytes on the disc? If so then the disc may have been burned with the UDF filesystem. When this happened to me my Windows computer would not read the disc, but my Kubuntu computer read it just fine. In the end I was able to open the disc and copy off the files in Windows by using ISOBuster, but I think there is an installable UDF filesystem driver for Windows somewhere.

If the data can be accessed from any computer then I recommend burning it to a different disc. Perhaps you should try a different burning program, or just be very careful about the settings you use in K3b.

Hope that helps you a little bit.
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

No files over 2Gig (4-700 or so Mib .AVI's)

I'll try burning a data DVD wih the new box later and see if it will recognize it's own stuff .

then I'll rip out the burner an IDE drive and replace with a newer SATA drive I have in the spare room and see if it will work with the disk in queshton.

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
        X