This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound works on one account but another

Running Jaunty with KDE updated to 4.3.1. I have two login accounts: my own and a "guest" account. On my account, I have no problems with sound. However, when logged in under the guest account, any application that accesses the sound system crashes immediately. Had to turn off notifications because KNotify was crashing repeatedly. Tried to go to System Settings -> Multimedia, but it crashes too.

I searched the forums and Google for an answer, but am coming up with nothing. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Sound works on one account but another

Is the "guest" account a member of the audio group?

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
      Is the "guest" account a member of the audio group?
      By opening KUser (KGear --> System --> KUser), finding the "guest" user, and adding him to the audio group.

Or, you can find the autio group and add "guest" to it.

Either way.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

No joy. Adding guest account to the audio group has no effect. Also, the account that works is not part of the audio group. Could it have something to do with admin privileges?

Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

mmm... The account you set up Kubuntu with IS the admin account. Making admin changes under that account IS usiing "root" via SUDO. If you are trying to make the changes from another account or you have changed the permissions of your "root" user then I'd expect that kind of trouble.

Check out your "admin" user in KUsers.

The groups my account (admin) is in are:
          adm
          dialout
          voice
          cdrom
          audio
          plugdev
          lpadmin
          admin
          jerry (my account - faded out)
          sambashare

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Sound works on one account but not another

The groups look pretty much the same in my account list. The guest account was working prior to the upgrade to KDE 4.3, so something broke. I deleted the account this morning and recreated it. Now the sound is accessible again.

Thanks for all the responses.

--Mike

Comment

Working...
            X