This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9. KDE desktops...

Is there a way to individualize Kubuntu's KDE desktop wallpapers.
    Example: I want desktop image “A” for my #1 desktop, image “B” for my #2 desktop and so on.

I am able to do this in OpenSuse 11.1 using the KDE desktop. When I do it using this version of Kubuntu (9.04) whatever image I select remains constant in whatever desktop switch to.

Please note, I am using Kubuntu 9.04 i64 on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 downloaded and installed on Sept 1, 2009.

This permanent newbie will appreciate whatever help you can send my way.

Thank you,

Rr
    Giving up on yourself is a CRIME<br />and it carries a LIFE SENTENCE!

Re: Kubuntu 9. KDE desktops...

Rf, I use different wallpaper as a guide to which desktop I am on. Click on the Cashew in the upper right had corner and chose "Zoom out". Click on the magnifying glass in the black tab on a desktop perview to select that desktop. Change its wall paper. Ditto for the other desktops.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The Kubuntu 9.04 is coming, as default, with the KDE 4.2.2.

With the KDE 4.2 > Plasma/FAQ/4.2
      and there:
      How can I use virtual desktops as activities ?

Notice: This feature is experimental and has no GUI option for it. It involves editing configuration files, so you may want to make backups before screwing your Plasma configuration....

It is possible to upgrade the Kubuntu 9.04 KDE to the 4.3.1 > Kubuntu.Org / Lates News:
      KDE 4.3.1 Update Available
      Submitted on Tue, 2009-09-01

With the KDE 4.3 > Plasma/FAQ/4.3:
      How can I use virtual desktops as activities ?

Zoom out by clicking on the desktop cashew and a new toolbox will open. Click on "Configure Plasma" then check the box "Different activity for each virtual desktop". Click on OK and you are done.

More information/guides:

HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        Rf, I use different wallpaper as a guide to which desktop I am on. Click on the Cashew in the upper right had corner and chose "Zoom out". Click on the magnifying glass in the black tab on a desktop perview to select that desktop. Change its wall paper. Ditto for the other desktops.
        THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY and PLEASE forgive my ignorance.

I can NOT follow your instructions AFTER the first sentence.

That first sentence reduces my desktop to 25% and puts the present desktop on the upper left hand corner. That panel has two (2) magnifying glasses. One zooms IN the other zooms OUT.
        If I click the "wrench" icon I can add other panels (desktops) then I have to add the desktop panel to each. When I try to change desktops it remains with a singular desktop. (see attached desktop image)

Again, THANK YOU for your reply!

Rr
        Attached Files

Comment

I think GreyGeek's instructions refer to KDE 4.3.x

I suspect you may be running KDE 4.2.x

Comment

Thank you.

I will have to look into that!

Rr

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
              I think GreyGeek's instructions refer to KDE 4.3.x
              You're right, Skunk. I had forgotten that I had upgraded Jaunty to 4.3 the moment it was available in PPA, and subsequently created a second partition for Karmic, which comes with 4.3. So, putting different wallpapers on different desktops always worked for me and I wasn't aware it wasn't a feature of 4.2.x

Thanks for catching that!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X