This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Remote Dekstop?

Any tips on how to use it? Ive seen the youtube tutorials online but I am not having any luck getting it going. The client doesn't see the server. Server is an open suse 11.1 workstation and the client is a Kubuntu 9.04 laptop connected to the same router wirelessly.

Hopefully I will figure it out soon...then the next step would be using it non locally so I can control my home computer from work.

Re: KDE Remote Dekstop?

You should read this before you do anything:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers

Basically, Krfb is not of production grade quality, yet.

If you want to access your desktop remotely, or let someone else do so, I'd recommend using the vnc server called x11vnc, through a secure shell, ssh. X11vnc is an enhanced version of tightvncserver. The client viewer to use would be xtightvncviewer.

openssh-server
    ssh
    tightvncserver
    xbase-clients
    xtightvncviewer

are all available in the repository. You may have to enable the Universe repository.

A word of caution: do NOT run both the vnc server and the vnc viewer on the same PC. To do so would put the PC into an endless loop.

Also, depending on the PC with the slowest bandwidth connection, be ready to accept slow desktop action. The mouse may appear to skip instead of smoothly gliding across the screen. Windows may be slow to open and/or redraw in a blocky fashion. Be patient. Because of that a lot of folks run vnc connections in CLI only. For most maintenance and updating that's all you need anyway. But, if you are going to call home to check your email or access your webcam to look at the area you have it covering (using cheese for example) then you'll need the GUI desktop.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Is there no hope for me using Krfb? Because at the studio I work at uses suse 11 kde 3.5.10 that comes with an an early version of it and I was hoping to use it to control my kubuntu laptop at home.

Comment

I've been very happy using No Machine client and server. It was very easy to setup -and works well over SSH. I'd highly recommend it and have been using it for over a year for remote kubuntu machine access.

http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

Comment

Originally posted by Trebacz
          I've been very happy using No Machine client and server. It was very easy to setup -and works well over SSH. I'd highly recommend it and have been using it for over a year for remote kubuntu machine access.

http://www.nomachine.com/download.php
          Wow! Nice app. Nicely documented. I am running a 64bit Karmic with KDE 4.3 in 3GB of RAM on dual core 2.26 GHz cpu's. Browsing their SuSE KDE 3.5 desktop using their Konqueror (remotely) was almost as fast my local Konqueror browsing my Karmic. And the Linux version is "forever free" (but support co$ts, which is the typical FOSS revenue model), so one can't complain about the price. Nice PDF, too.

I had heard about nomachine in the distant past, but completely forgot about it. Thanks for the tip, Trebacz!
          NoMachine is now my recommended vnc app.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I don't think I will be able to convince the sys admin to install any programs that are non essential. So I am stuck with what comes with the system.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender
              I don't think I will be able to convince the sys admin to install any programs that are non essential. So I am stuck with what comes with the system.
              So, you didn't do the original install and your account isn't the "root" account? Perhaps a little "Social Engineering" is in order!

Comment

Working...
              X