X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Settings - Login Manager

Hello,
    I have using archlinux, and this is the point why I post here, because on the arch, I has problem with asus laptop with music card (It's really doesn't matter right now). And I chose a kubuntu to check it out, so there is also wrong in kubuntu (I think it's a something in Kmix or alsa driver). Have kubuntu, test it to Always from the >= 4 v. of KDE I have the Login Manager disabled in the system settings, always, but now when I open it, it's enabled o_O But tell me how?! How you make it? In official release of Kubuntu, kde has 4.2.2 ver. I have 4.3.0 right now, and this panel for me is still disabled...

Okey, about the problem with kmix, the problem is with music card, from lspci
    Code:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    and what is different? Hmmm how to explain it.. so try this, I open the alsamixer from console, and have PCM channel, yeap fine I think, but without option to mute it (none box [00] of him), who care... and go to the kmix settings, look at the default selected channels and where is the pcm? A front and master, doesn't have any volume mixer, only checkbox, mute it or not, and it don't work. When I add a pcm from the list of channels, it also don't have any volume mixer, and also have a checkbox with mute it or not, and also don't work But this is really not the point of the topic, I wanna know how to enable kdm setting

Re: System Settings - Login Manager

The Login Manager needs to be run with administrative privileges. If your distro uses sudo (as does Kubuntu), it will ask for your sudo password when first launched. If not you need to launch it as root. Unfortunately, although by default KDM will allow you to log in as root, it appears that some distros change the default behaviour to prevent root logins - and the dialog to enable them is in the Login Manager!

So. In Konsole run:
    Code:
    sudo kate /etc/kde4/kdm/kdrmrc
    Find the line that says "# Allow root logins?" If a couple of lines below that it says "AllowRootLogins=false", replace "false" with "true" (no quotes). Save the file, log out, then log back in again as root, using your root password. You should now be able to use the Login Manager.

There is probably an easier way to do this - if anyone knows of one please share!

I used to much prefer the traditional UNIX concept of root privileges, but I must admit I'm starting to warm to the whole sudo way of doing things!

Regards,
    Nathan

Comment

You can start systemsettings "as root" with 'kdesudo systemsettings'...you don't need to enable root login for that.

Comment

Just a side note.

Don't use use sudo to run gui apps.

Use kdesudo instaed.

Quote from Ubuntu Wiki:
        If you need to give a graphical application root privileges use either
        The kdesu in ubuntu has been patched to use sudo.
        Using sudo as opposed to gksudo/kdesu can sometimes lead to file ownership problems.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by cojack

go to the kmix settings, look at the default selected channels and where is the pcm?
          Right-click the Kmix icon on your panel. Choose "Show mixer window". Click "Settings > Configure channels". Put a checkmark in "IEC Default PCM".

However, on my system:
          Code:
          dibl@karmic:~$ lspci
          00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82975X Memory Controller Hub
          00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82975X PCI Express Root Port
          00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
          the IEC PCM channel is added to the mixer, but no volume slider appears.

From the "Settings" tab I chose "Configure Kmix", confirmed that the settings were correct, and then I clicked "Apply". Now the slider for "Master" channel is turned red.

I dunno -- this is 9.10, and audio was already working on mine with no PCM channel added, so your result may be different.

Comment

Working...
          X