This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dependecy problems & unconfigured packages

Yeah, go ahead and try editing menu.lst.

I had thought the problem might be that vol_id wasn't working, but apparently it is.
    So go ahead and edit menu.lst, and see if you can boot the new kernel. Then we'll start in on grub.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: Dependecy problems & unconfigured packages

Edited menu.lst

rebooted

everything worked just fine....
      System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Comment

Re: Dependecy problems &amp; unconfigured packages

Code:
        uname -a
        just to make sure. Should have 2.6.28-15-generic #51 in there somewhere. (or maybe #49).

Go ahead and try the sudo update-grub now.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd

Code:
          uname -a
          just to make sure. Should have 2.6.28-15-generic #51 in there somewhere. (or maybe #49).

Go ahead and try the sudo update-grub now.
          Dr, there seems to be a problem. Note** 2.6.28-14....say's 14 not 15

see below

Code:
          ben@ben-desktop:~$ uname -a
          Linux ben-desktop 2.6.28-14-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Sat Jul 25 01:19:55 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          ben@ben-desktop:~$
          should I wait now bwfore going ahead with the update-grub
          System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Comment

You are choosing the new entry you made in menu.lst, right?

If so, then the install process may not have gone completely through.
            In the lines you added to menu.lst, change /vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic and
            /initrd.img to /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic

I won't be too surprised if this doesn't work, but it's worth a try.

What I am thinking is that a new version of grub got installed that is expecting the -15 kernel, and just won't work with -14. So we have to try and get the system up with -15, if possible.

Or changing the bootloader option in the config file I had you edit may have goofed up the symlinks. No matter, the suggestion above should work. We'll fix that problem later.

Comment

You are choosing the new entry you made in menu.lst, right?

that was the problem. I did not choose the new entry.

But... I have now and as you can see

Code:
              ben@ben-desktop:~$ uname -a
              Linux ben-desktop 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 19:25:34 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              tried sudo update-grub. Still no go with that. See below

Code:
              ben@ben-desktop:~$ sudo update-grub
              [: 25: /usr/sbin/update-grub: unexpected operator
              exec: 25: -a: not found
              ben@ben-desktop:~$
              Thanks again for your help on this.

Comment

Whew!
                OK, important thing, we got your system up and running.

First thing I would do is the "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" thing.
                That will at the very least bring in the new kernel update from today.

I'm going to have to research the grub problem a little further, as I don't really understand why it is failing, given that everything it needs to work is there. But you should be able to update and boot your system for the time being.

Maybe if qqmike or some other grub expert is reading, they can chime in with suggestions. I'm open to them at this point.

Comment

drdruidphd@

Searched the forum and found this observation by dibl which might shed some light on this issue?
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Whew!
                    OK, important thing, we got your system up and running.

First thing I would do is the "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" thing.
                    That will at the very least bring in the new kernel update from today.

I'm going to have to research the grub problem a little further, as I don't really understand why it is failing, given that everything it needs to work is there. But you should be able to update and boot your system for the time being.

Maybe if qqmike or some other grub expert is reading, they can chime in with suggestions. I'm open to them at this point.

sudo apt-get update......Done

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade........still going

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog, for finding that. It sure looks like the same problem!

Yes, my suspicion is confirmed. Problem fixed as follows:

Code:

sudo apt-get remove grub-gfxboot

Code:

sudo apt-get install grub
                      bhamm, are you running grub-gfxboot? If so, then this is likely the problem.

Comment

bhamm, are you running grub-gfxboot? If so, then this is likely the problem.
                        yes. Does this mean I will have to give up my grub-gfxboot screen . It's so lovely & cool 8).

if I have to remove grub-gfxboot...will it be permanent?
                        but I will do what it takes to get the system back in good order.

Comment

yes. Does this mean I will have to give up my grub-gfxboot screen Cry. It's so lovely & cool Cool.
                          Yes, it does. Cool it may be, but it is not compatible with current k/Ubuntu systems.
                          You could manually reinstall it after fixing grub, but then you will have to go through this process every time there is an upgrade. My vote would be, NOT!!! Maybe some day we will get Plymouth in the repositories, but until that happens, I would stay away, for reasons now all too obvious.

First, fix the config file you edited several posts back.

Code:
                          cd /etc
                          sudo cp kernel-img.conf-backup kernel-img.conf
                          Next, read qqmike's grub howto, especially Section 3.
                          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

It's not a bad idea to print out at least the following, and keep it handy:

SUMMARY—recipe:
                          # (hdx,y) = the partition containing the GRUB files you wish to use.
                          # (hdz) = the MBR you wish to install GRUB to.
                          sudo grub
                          grub>find /boot/grub/stage1
                          grub>geometry (hd0)
                          grub>geometry (hd1), etc.
                          grub>root (hdx,y)
                          grub>setup (hdz)
                          grub>quit
                          $exit
                          Then remove grub-gfxboot:
                          Code:
                          Next make a backup of your current menu.lst:
                          Code:
                          cd /boot/grub
                          sudo cp menu.lst menu.lst-backup
                          Then reinstall grub:
                          Code:
                          If it comes back with a "grub is already the current version" message, then you need to set grub up.

I don't know whether the installation process forces grub to set itself up or not. It might be a good idea to run the setup anyway, which for your installation, looks like it would be (but read the howto and confirm this yourself before doing):

Code:
                          sudo grub
                          grub> root (hd0,3)
                          grub> setup (hd0)
                          grub> quit
                          Then run the grub update to install all of your kernels and systems:
                          Code:
                          sudo update-grub
                          Remember that the (hdx,y) notation starts at 0, so if your system in on sda4, as far as grub is concerned, it is on (hd0,3).

That should do it.

Comment

Thanks to all who are helping me out on this.

I will try Drdruid's steps in the previous posting sometime soon. May have to be tomorrow. Things are sort of busy in my world at the moment.

So I will get to uninstalling grub-gfxboot & installing grub next chance I get. Til then...

Comment

Questions:

Remeber how we edited my menu.lst in order to run the correct kernel?

Now, to test your new kernel, you will need to edit your menu.lst file.

After the line that says

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
                              add the following:

Code:
                              title Kubuntu System on /dev/sda4
                              root (hd0,3)
                              kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda4 ro
                              initrd /initrd.img
                              boot

title Kubuntu System on /dev/sda4 (rescue mode)
                              root (hd0,3)
                              kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda4 ro single
                              initrd /initrd.img
                              boot

Note that this is the old way (pre-uuid) of doing grub, and it should work. There will be no splash screen -- we need to see if there are any error messages during the boot process. No reason to panic if this doesn't work; you can still boot your old kernel.
                              Should we edit that so that it lists like it did originally but with the correct kernel & ID, so that I wont have so many list options when booting?

SAMPLEmenu.lst

Code:
                              ben@ben-desktop:~$ sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
                              gfxmenu /boot/grub/message.kde41blue      

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
                              #      grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),    
                              #      grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub  
                              #      and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.     

## default num
                              # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
                              # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.       
                              #                                      
                              # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
                              # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.             
                              # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your      
                              # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.          
                              default     0                               

## timeout sec
                              # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
                              # (normally the first entry defined).                     
                              timeout     10                               

## hiddenmenu
                              # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
                              #hiddenmenu                      

# Pretty colours
                              #color cyan/blue white/blue

## password ['--md5'] passwd
                              # If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
                              # control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the 
                              # command 'lock'                               
                              # e.g. password topsecret                           
                              ## password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/              
                              # password topsecret                             

#
                              # examples
                              #     
                              # title     Windows 95/98/NT/2000
                              # root     (hd0,0)       
                              # makeactive             
                              # chainloader  +1          
                              #                  
                              # title     Linux        
                              # root     (hd0,1)       
                              # kernel    /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
                              #                     

#
                              # Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
                              ## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
                              ## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
                              ## default kernel options   
                              ## default kernel options for automagic boot options
                              ## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
                              ## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted. 
                              ## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro                  
                              ##   kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro               
                              ##   kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro            
                              # kopt=root=UUID=7af78ba6-bb59-448f-9b7d-ff15112af47b ro     

## default grub root device
                              ## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)   
                              # groot=7af78ba6-bb59-448f-9b7d-ff15112af47b

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
                              ## e.g. alternative=true                    
                              ##   alternative=false                   
                              # alternative=true                       

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
                              ## e.g. lockalternative=true                 
                              ##   lockalternative=false                
                              # lockalternative=false                   

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
                              ## alternatives                              
                              ## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5                
                              # defoptions=splash                            

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
                              ## e.g. lockold=false                
                              ##   lockold=true                 
                              # lockold=false                   

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
                              # xenhopt=                            

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
                              # xenkopt=console=tty0                       

## altoption boot targets option
                              ## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
                              ## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
                              ##   altoptions=(recovery) single           
                              # altoptions=(recovery mode) single           

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
                              ## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the   
                              ## alternative kernel options                
                              ## e.g. howmany=all                     
                              ##   howmany=7                      
                              # howmany=all                        

## specify if running in Xen domU or have grub detect automatically
                              ## update-grub will ignore non-xen kernels when running in domU and vice versa
                              ## e.g. indomU=detect                             
                              ##   indomU=true                              
                              ##   indomU=false                             
                              # indomU=detect                                

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
                              ## e.g. memtest86=true              
                              ##   memtest86=false              
                              # memtest86=true                 

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
                              ## can be true or false                      
                              # updatedefaultentry=false                     

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
                              ## can be true or false                   
                              # savedefault=false                     

## ## End Default Options ##

title      Kubuntu 9.04, Jaunty Jackalope
                              uuid      7af78ba6-bb59-448f-9b7d-ff15112af47b
                              kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=7af78ba6-bb59-448f-9b7d-ff15112af47b ro splash 
                              initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-14-generic                            
                              quiet                                                  

title      Kubuntu 9.04, Jaunty Jackalope (recovery mode)
                              kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=7af78ba6-bb59-448f-9b7d-ff15112af47b ro single
                              initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-14-generic                            

title      Kubuntu 9.04, memtest86+
                              kernel     /boot/memtest86+.bin        
                              quiet                        

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

[b]title      Kubuntu System on /dev/sda4
                              root      (hd0,3)           
                              kernel     /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda4 ro 
                              initrd     /initrd.img         
                              boot                    

title      Kubuntu System on /dev/sda4 (rescue mode) 
                              root      (hd0,3)                  
                              kernel     /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda4 ro single     
                              initrd     /initrd.img                
                              boot      [/b]                       

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
                              # ones.                                  
                              title      Other operating systems:                  
                              root                                    

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
                              # on /dev/sda2                               
                              title      Windows XP Media Center Edition              
                              rootnoverify  (hd0,1)                          
                              savedefault                                
                              makeactive                                 
                              chainloader   +1                             

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
                              # on /dev/sda1                               
                              title      Windows NT/2000/XP                     
                              rootnoverify  (hd0,0)                          
                              savedefault                                
                              makeactive                                 
                              chainloader   +1

I started collecting data as advised in qqmike's thread. I was able to retrieve some but not all info. I will list what I have.

Code:
                              ben@ben-desktop:~$ sudo fdisk -lu
                              [sudo] password for ben:     

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
                              240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10337 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
                              Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes                
                              Disk identifier: 0x0282bece                     

Device Boot   Start     End   Blocks  Id System
                              /dev/sda1       63  15377039   7688488+  b W95 FAT32
                              /dev/sda2  *  15377040  136488239  60555600  7 HPFS/NTFS
                              /dev/sda3    152379360  156295439   1958040  5 Extended 
                              /dev/sda4    136488240  152379359   7945560  83 Linux  
                              /dev/sda5    152394480  156295439   1950480  82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order
                              ben@ben-desktop:~$ sudo grub
                              Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
                                lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
                                completions of a device/filename. ]                   
                              grub> geometry (hd                             
                              geometry (hd                                

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
                              grub> geometry (hd0)         
                              geometry (hd0)            
                              drive 0x80: C/H/S = 10337/240/63, The number of sectors = 156301488, /dev/sda
                                Partition num: 0, Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xb       
                                Partition num: 1, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7      
                                Partition num: 3, Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83     
                                Partition num: 4, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x82      
                              grub> geometry (hd1)                             
                              geometry (hd1)                                

grub> geometry (hd2)         
                              geometry (hd2)            

grub> geometry (hd   )       
                              geometry (hd)             

Error 23: Error while parsing number
                              grub> find /boot/grub/stage1    
                              find /boot/grub/stage1       
                               (hd0,3)
                              Code:
                              ben@ben-desktop:~$ sudo cat /etc/fstab
                              # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                              #                      
                              # Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
                              # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
                              # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).      
                              #                                     
                              # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>  
                              proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0     
                              # / was on /dev/sda4 during installation                 
                              UUID=7af78ba6-bb59-448f-9b7d-ff15112af47b /        ext2  relatime,errors=remount-ro 0    1
                              # /windows was on /dev/sda2 during installation                            
                              UUID=AE48CE1248CDD8EB /windows    ntfs  defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0    1      
                              # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation                              
                              UUID=e2b69d33-b30e-4a50-b23d-a4f3fb56757b none      swap  sw       0    0      
                              /dev/scd0    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0              
                              ben@ben-desktop:~$ sudo cat /etc/mtab
                              /dev/sda4 / ext2 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
                              tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0 
                              proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0    
                              sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0    
                              varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0   
                              varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777 0 0
                              udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0              
                              tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0          
                              devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0 
                              fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0       
                              lrm /lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/volatile tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
                              /dev/sda2 /windows fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096 0 0
                              securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0                     
                              binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0        
                              ben@ben-desktop:~$ sudo cat /proc/version                         
                              Linux version 2.6.28-15-generic (buildd@yellow) (gcc version 4.3.3 (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) ) #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 19:25:34 UTC 2009                                                 
                              ben@ben-desktop:~$ uname -r
                              2.6.28-15-generic     
                              ben@ben-desktop:~$ lsb_release -a
                              No LSB modules are available.  
                              Distributor ID: Ubuntu      
                              Description:  Ubuntu 9.04   
                              Release:    9.04       
                              Codename:    jaunty
                              Code:
                              ben@ben-desktop:~$ kde-config -version
                              Qt: 3.3.8b
                              KDE: 3.5.10
                              kde-config: 1.0

ben@ben-desktop:~$ grub
                              Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
                                lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
                                completions of a device/filename. ]
                              grub> find /boot/grub/menu.lst
                              find /boot/grub/menu.lst

Error 15: File not found
                              grub> find /vmlinuz
                              find /vmlinuz

Error 15: File not found
                              grub> cat (hd0,3)/boot/grub/menu.lst
                              cat (hd0,3)/boot/grub/menu.lst

grub> cat (hd0,3)/etc/fstab
                              cat (hd0,3)/etc/fstab

grub> cat (hd0,3)/boot/grub/device.map
                              cat (hd0,3)/boot/grub/device.map

grub>
                              Mainly, I wanted to show you what grub data I collected. It was confusing that I couldn't retrieve all the data qqmike recommended.

I also wanted to see if you had any suggestions about editing the menu.lst.

If no objections given the info i have provided I will continue with the following advice:

Then remove grub-gfxboot:
                              Code:
                              Next make a backup of your current menu.lst:
                              Code:
                              cd /boot/grub
                              sudo cp menu.lst menu.lst-backup
                              Then reinstall grub:
                              Code:
                              If it comes back with a "grub is already the current version" message, then you need to set grub up.

I don't know whether the installation process forces grub to set itself up or not. It might be a good idea to run the setup anyway, which for your installation, looks like it would be (but read the howto and confirm this yourself before doing):

Code:
                              sudo grub
                              grub> root (hd0,3)
                              grub> setup (hd0)
                              grub> quit
                              Then run the grub update to install all of your kernels and systems:
                              Code:
                              sudo update-grub
                              Remember that the (hdx,y) notation starts at 0, so if your system in on sda4, as far as grub is concerned, it is on (hd0,3).

That should do it.

Quite alot of info here, I just prefer you guys to take a look before I make too many moves, as I can't properly asses each situation, trying to stay on the safe side

Comment

Should we edit that so that it lists like it did originally but with the correct kernel & ID, so that I wont have so many list options when booting?
                                Once grub is fixed, then you can remove the two sections you added in. Until grub is working properly, you have no way to boot into the new kernel. You could edit it manually, but when grub starts working, it will do that itself.

Most of the grub info you have listed looks good. I am assuming that grub-gfxboot is broken, so the info it gives might not be correct or complete at this point.

I would recommend that you have a live cd in case something goes wrong, but I should also say that I have never had anything go wrong, following qqmike's advice.
                                You can always reinstall grub from a live cd, or from a Super Grub Disk, but the SGD is really redundant if you have a working live cd.

Also, I should mention for the sake of completeness, that you should NOT install grub2 at this point. If you follow the advice in qqmike's guide, you will be OK. But if you start looking at karmic cd's, they have grub2, which is strictly experimental at this stage, and getting it working right if it breaks may be problematic at the moment. So stick with the howto's advice.

The info I got on removing grub-gfxboot and reinstalling grub came from the link in Snowhog's post. It basically is a reverse of the process of removing grub and installing grub-gfxboot.

According to your fstab, your system is indeed on sda4, which in grub's notation is (hd0,3), so the instructions should be OK.

I've said "should" several times here. Take that as a very strong suggestion that you have a working live cd before altering grub. That said, the process is straightforward and simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X