This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Partition manager and NTFS

Which program should I use to make a NTFS partion on a disk? I tried KDE Partition Manager, but it doesn't give the option for a NTFS (it let me chose from a list with ext3, ext4, reiserFS, fat16, fat32, etc., etc. no NTFS).

I saw that the partition manager from the repositories is a beta version, so I downloaded the deb package from partitionmanager.org... but i couldn't install it because Kpackagekit fails (but it doesn't say why)... with dkpg I discover that it has dependencies... kpackagekit doesn't handle dependencies??

Well, anyway, is there any simple way to do the job? How can create a NTFS partition on Kubuntu?
    &lt;Asus K8U-X&gt;&lt;AMD Athlon 64 3000+&gt;&lt;1.5Gb&gt;<br />&lt;NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256Mb&gt;&lt;HD S-ATA 80Gb&gt;&lt;HD S-ATA 250Gb&gt;<br />Kubuntu 9.04 amd64

Re: KDE Partition manager and NTFS

Download and burn the GParted LiveCD It supports creation of NTFS partitions.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think that cfdisk can make an NTFS partition and IMHO it has a really nice and intuitive interface. It works by typing "cfdisk" at the command line and should be installed by default. The same goes for fdisk.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Download and burn the GParted LiveCD It supports creation of NTFS partitions.
        So will partitionmanager, if 'ntfsprogs' package is installed

Comment

Thank you all!
          Let post my conclusions:

- I wouldn't burn a live CD since I can install it from repositories. Actually this is the first solution I thought but I was searching for a KDE solution (unfortunately, for every question I posted here since I changed to kubuntu I was pointed for a Gnome solution - sorry for the criticism: but I think the solution for kubuntu is turn it into ubuntu).

- I tried cfdisk but it didn't work for me. I guess it was because I am working with an USB case.

- In the end, I uninstalled every version of partition manager I had installed before (thru apt-get, since the awful kpackagekit refused to do the job giving incomprehensible errors) and then installed it again from the repositories (the beta version) along ntfsprogs. Now everything works well.

The main fault I saw in this process is that the descriptions of partition manager we can read everywhere says it handles ntfs, with no mention to ntfsprogs. No, it doesn't handle ntfs, not without a third part program. I would keep trying with no success if nobody mentioned ntfsprogs here.

P.S.: The dependency trouble not handled by kpackagekit had no relation to ntfsprogs. It refers to a package called "libparted" which was already installed in my system (a version newer than the one required by partitionmanager).
          &lt;Asus K8U-X&gt;&lt;AMD Athlon 64 3000+&gt;&lt;1.5Gb&gt;<br />&lt;NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256Mb&gt;&lt;HD S-ATA 80Gb&gt;&lt;HD S-ATA 250Gb&gt;<br />Kubuntu 9.04 amd64

Comment

Originally posted by marciovinicius
            Which program should I use to make a NTFS partion on a disk?
            MS Windows will do a pretty good job of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              MS Windows will do a pretty good job of it.
              Guess what? I don't know how to do it on Windows!

Comment

Originally posted by marciovinicius
                The main fault I saw in this process is that the descriptions of partition manager we can read everywhere says it handles ntfs, with no mention to ntfsprogs. No, it doesn't handle ntfs, not without a third part program. I would keep trying with no success if nobody mentioned ntfsprogs here.
                Yes, partitionmanager package could definitely 'suggest' (or perhaps even 'recommend') the additional filesystem tools needed for all the advertised functionality (like the gparted package does).

The fact that is needs additional packages is not that strange, this is common to all partition management frontends on linux (they all use libparted and filesystem specific tools/packages, like ntfsprogs and xfsprogs, for additional functionality)...but I concur this is not "immediately apparent"

Comment

cfdisk should work on a USB drive.
                  In a pinch, I'd be tempted to just install XP and then delete all the files afterwards. lol
                  Of course that assumes that you have one of those special MS CDs, but if you do then here is how Bill does it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

Comment

cfdisk should work on a USB drive.
                    cfdisk works fine on any drive visible to the system, all you need to do is specify the drive by device name, /dev/sdb1 for example. However, cfdisk will allow you to set the partition type to NTFS, but it does not actually format the drive. cfdisk partitions drives and sets the partition type but does not format them.

Install gparted, like so:

sudo apt-get install gparted

and use this gem. You can install it on most any Linux system including Kubuntu and use to partition AND format all types of drives (hard drives, flash drives, etc.).

Comment

I guess QtPartEd isn't in the repos anymore? I still use that myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X