This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMail Archive Question SOLVED !

Is it possible to store all KMail emails in a HDD folder? I've read the manual and can not find any reference to where the actual emails are stored or if they can be stored someplace else. Please advise.

mhumm2
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: KMail Archive Question

The KMail mail is stored in
    ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail

You can copy them anywhere you want for backup purposes. Just besure ownerships and permissions do not change.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

On your Plasma Desktop > 'Home' Folder (will open Dolphin) > 'View' tab > Show Hidden Files

then...

(In the left margin of Dolphin) Root > Home > (your user name) > KDE > Share > Apps > Kmail.

That's where your 'Inbox' is kept on your PC but clicking on the messages in there will not show them as they do in the actual Kmail program. There may be a way round this but I don't know it.

If no one else is able to help you out on here, I usually try the KDE forums for KDE issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2
        or if they can be stored someplace else.
        You can also have your mail stored somewhere else (I use ~/.mail instead of ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail), but this requires some tinkering:

1. close kmail/kontact
        2. copy everything (including hidden files/folders in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail to a directory where you want to store your mail.
        3. edit ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc and add/edit 'folders' tag under the [General] Section to point to the new location, for example, moving my mail folder to ~/.mail, I have added:
        folders[$e]=$HOME/.mail
        under the [General] section.
        4. restart kmail/kontact

Comment

Thank you all very much. I suppose I did expect to see the emails listed somehow individually and the only way to get that kind of functionality is to switch email programs.

I've moved my mail folder and it works great. Thanks again.

mhumm2
          "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
          X