• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Gtk apps looks bad in KDE 4.3

ok, steps to reproduce:
    1. install kubuntu 9.04
    2. install KDE 4.3 from ppa
    3. run synaptic

now, it's normal, that without gtk themes and engines it will look like s**t, so install gtk-qt-engines, gtk-engines-qt, or any other engines (i never remember which ones are responsible for gtk apps look in qt environment, so i install them all :PP) and some gtk/gtk2 themes. now, we can go to control center and we can change gtk theme, or install standalone gtk theme changer.
    And the only thing is that synaptic still has quite s***y look. Most of gtk apps obey control center gtk engines settings, but not synaptic. And i'm pretty sure it worked some time ago in kde 3,4.(x<3).

Any1 knows how to fix it ?

(I even installed ubuntu-desktop for to check if it'll change anything - ofc in gnome synaptic looks ok and obeys theme settings, but in KDE still looks bad.. strange)
    Just to be clear: it's probably not only synaptic, but some other older gtk apps aswell, i just found it in Synaptic)

regs

Re: Some Gtk apps looks bad in KDE 4.3

from my post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=944

For gtk programs under regular user privileges:

I do not know if it has been said here, but to make your gtk apps look nice in kde 4.3, you have to install gtk2-engines-qtcurve, kde-style-qtcurve, gtk2-engines-pixbuf. Also, you should download (if you haven't already) oxygen-refit2 from gnome-look and sudo tar xvfz it in /usr/share/icons/. Also, if there is an oxygen theme you like from gnome-look, extrat it in /usr/share/themes

then you edit ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4

here's mine for gtk programs:

Code:
    # This file was written by KDE
    # You can edit it in the KDE control center, under "GTK Styles and Fonts"

include "/usr/share/themes/Qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
    {
        font_name="DejaVu Sans"
    }
    widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-theme-name="Qt4"
    gtk-font-name="DejaVu Sans 9"
    gtk-icon-theme-name="OxygenRefit2"
    Start your gtk app, and it should be oxgenized

Although, for firefox, the tabs look a bit wonky, even after clicking the fix from system settings->appearances... I just looked for a kde4 theme on google. Just drag the jar into your themes window and you should be set.

from my post here for gtk themes for programs in superuser mode: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=971

Too make menus consistent while in superuser mode, copy your edited .gtkrc-2.0-kde4, rename it to .gtkrc-20. Open up terminal, navigate where .gtkrc-2.0 and "sudo cp" (or sudo mv) .gtkrc-2.0 to /root. If the theme does not look right, then you can install one of the kde4 gtk2.0 themes from gnome-look, kdesudo kate /root/.gtkrc-2.0 and direct it to use that one.

a better suggestion for superuser mode: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=974

nstead of copying the file(s) to /root, just use symbolic links instead. That way, whenever you change your user settings, they are immediately reflected when running superuser programs.

Example:
    Code:
    /root # ls -la
    total 36
    drwx------  6 root root 4096 2009-08-16 04:56 .
    drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 2009-08-16 01:57 ..
    drwx------  2 root root 4096 2009-08-17 20:09 .aptitude
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root 3409 2009-08-16 00:33 .bashrc
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 2009-08-17 20:09 .debtags
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  23 2009-08-16 00:28 .fonts.conf -> /home/daffy/.fonts.conf
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  22 2009-08-16 01:45 .gtkrc-2.0 -> /home/daffy/.gtkrc-2.0
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  18 2009-08-16 00:28 .icons -> /home/daffy/.icons
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root 140 2007-11-19 11:57 .profile
    drwx------  3 root root 4096 2009-08-16 19:13 .synaptic
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  19 2009-08-16 00:28 .themes -> /home/daffy/.themes

Comment

Re: Some Gtk apps looks bad in KDE 4.3

Anyone know if this synaptic theming "issue" has been fixed in KK?

Comment

Working...
      X