This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

koffice i just downloaded koffice now what

i downloaded kword im new to linux but i cant find anything that resembles an excutible

Re: koffice i just downloaded koffice now what

is there a reason that you don't want to use open office, which is installed by default? It (in my opinion), has more features. It is a bit bloated though. If you want to install koffice, do a search on this forum, and install it from the repository, there should be no need to install from a tar file (which is probably what you downloaded.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by eaterjolly
      i downloaded kword im new to linux but i cant find anything that resembles an excutible
      pls install koffice frm the repo. it will be integrated with yr menu.

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
        is there a reason that you don't want to use open office, which is installed by default? It (in my opinion), has more features. It is a bit bloated though. If you want to install koffice, do a search on this forum, and install it from the repository, there should be no need to install from a tar file (which is probably what you downloaded.

mm0
        it doesnt have times new roman which is required for all papers at my school! i figured out the terminal command to install it

Comment

There must be some way to add this font to open office.

Since you are a newbe, I will help you out. When installing new software go to KPackageKit under applications, System. Search for any new software there. Click the + sign on the right and select install.
          This will download the software and install it. This is all you have to do, a couple of mouse clicks.

This will keep your software up to date as it is connected to the Ubuntu repository (Repo).
          The Repo is where Ubuntu keeps all the software available to you and makes sure it works with your version of Kubuntu.

Not every piece of software is available there, but it usually is. The repo is way easier to install from and more likely to work.

Remember, this is not Windows and some things are actually easier, just done differently. I had the same issue when I first stared.

Comment

Firstly, do not trawl the Internet looking for 'programs' as you do with Windows. Most of what you will ever need is already in the 'repositories'.

There are a number of programs that come with Kubuntu which enable to look through these lists and install programs you want. Unfortunately, the default one on Kubuntu is called KPackageKit and is not very good/stable yet.

Another, called Spynaptic is far better. To get Synaptic, either look for it in KPackageKit or, better still, open a Terminal (Konsole) - found in 'Applications > System' and type;

sudo apt-get install synaptic

just follow the instructions and you are done.

Next time you want to install a 'program', open Synaptic, type in the name (e.g. KWord) and it will do the rest for you.

As for Times New Roman, do this;

Open a Terminal Konsole, type;

sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

follow the instructions. This will essentially put all the MS Word fonts on your system.
            Next, in the Kick-Off menu, open 'System Settings', open 'font installer' and you should find your way from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jook_roberts
              There must be some way to add this font to open office.

Since you are a newbe, I will help you out. When installing new software go to KPackageKit under applications, System. Search for any new software there. Click the + sign on the right and select install.
              This will download the software and install it. This is all you have to do, a couple of mouse clicks.

This will keep your software up to date as it is connected to the Ubuntu repository (Repo).
              The Repo is where Ubuntu keeps all the software available to you and makes sure it works with your version of Kubuntu.

Not every piece of software is available there, but it usually is. The repo is way easier to install from and more likely to work.

Remember, this is not Windows and some things are actually easier, just done differently. I had the same issue when I first stared.

well at the time idk how to install times plus i like kword its pretty good in my opinion it has many features open office doesnt like crossing through your letters

Comment

I prefer KWord also. I have had problems with the 4.2 version (2.0) though. It crashes a lot.
                Which version did you get and have you had any problems with it?

Comment

Originally posted by SCBrazil
                  I prefer KWord also. I have had problems with the 4.2 version (2.0) though. It crashes a lot.
                  Which version did you get and have you had any problems with it?
                  idk the version but i just learned the hard way that it corrupts files frequently!!!! Changing default back quickly!!!

Comment

I've never used Koffice but I use Open Offoce 2.4 to publish a little news paper. It's been completely bug free a breeze to use. I just checked and it has Times New Roman, I guess because I've got msttcorefonts installed.

Comment

I'd suggest using a package manager preferably Synaptic to install software from the repositories, it's just far more easier, if the version you're looking for isn't there check out the Personal Package Archives for Ubuntu @ https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas
                      As for Koffice, I like it, but openoffice does have more features and there are all the Extensions you can install. I prefer to have the most up to date version, and complete control over updates to it, so I download the debs from www.openoffice.org and install them using the command line.
                      IBM Lotus Symphony is good too, but you have to download the package from their website.

Comment

Working...
                      X