Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] home partition shown as full, but is not!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: home partition shown as full, but is not!

So I checked the trash folders and they are all empty. (I also checks hidden files with ls -a)

I tried fsck at boot again (from recovery mode), and again I get the same warning: /dev/sda6 is already mounted. How can I unmount and check that partition, as it appears to be at the heart of the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Chopstick
      @ Josefko: kdesudo dolphin causes the following error: cannot talk to klauncher.
      Try Alt-F2 "dbus-launch kdesudo dolphin" with no quote marks.

Comment

Try Alt-F2 "dbus-launch kdesudo dolphin" with no quote marks.
        Still does not work; the precise wording is:
        "Could not start process Cannot talk to klauncher: The same org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files"
        And the dolphin window is empty.

However in the meantime I followed the many suggestions on checking my disk usage in my home directory and I found a mysterious folder called "Downloads" (in my actual Downloads-folder) which had 16.8GB of junk. Upon inspection it's name turned into "."
        Anyway I could simply delete this folder and the disk space was recovered. Now at least my system is working properly.

I suspect that this folder was created by my dc++ client. It looks like it downloaded someones entire home-folder (I don't remember doing that... not intentionally anyway). It may be possible that dc++ simply filled up every bit as soon as it became available, and only stopped when it was killed due to a reboot.

I'm still confused about the 4GB which seemed to have disappeared. So I would like to run fsck on my home partition, if anyone could help me with that...

Comment

Use your live cd to perform the fsck. If it's the 9.04 you can choose to check the drive from the menu.
          Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
            I would try fsck for /home from live CD
            Originally posted by eddieg780
            Use your live cd to perform the fsck
            I tried in the meantime to find something on Internet, there is a lot of advices there, try google "unmount home" for example, but I still think to use live CD is the fastest and safest way to do it and simple too.
            Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

OK, I did the file-system check and repair with life-CD. There was nothing major.
              I think the problem was caused by this dc++ client going wild and continuously filling up any newly available space.
              Does that sound reasonable?

Taking into account the 5% reserved for root (thanks russlar!! I did not know that) the available space is now consistent with the size of my home directory.

Is it normal that home is mounted on boot and not included in a standard file system check?
              And I still have the error with kdesudo dolphin, but that's a different problem I guess.

So I will mark this thread as solved. Thank you all for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X