This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia driver installing(Solved)

I followed dibl's instructions and managed to get the nvidia drivers installed on kernel 2.6.28-14. However, I updated to the new kernel 2.6.28-15 and need to install the driver again but it keeps telling me Can't open it. I tried installing Nvidia-Linux-x86-185.18.31-pkg1.run which it the one on 2.6.28-14 it said it can't open so I tried the latest Nvidia-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run and it said the same thing. Does anyone know why it's saying it can't open it?
    Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Re: nvidia driver installing

Be sure you are in the directory where you put the file.

Code:
    mlocate Nvidia-Linux-x86-185.18.31-pkg1.run
    However, on my system, it's NVIDIA--- in capital letters.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Don't forget -- first
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install linux-headers `uname -r`
      and

Code:
      sudo apt-get install build-essential

then your file NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.18.03-pkg2.run should run just fine.

Comment

Thank you all.

dibl I did what you suggested and both linux-headers and built-essential said they were installed and latest version which is what it said before but I did do what doctordruidphd said, the mlocate, and it went immediately back to the prompt so I figured it found it. I typed sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run and it installed.

However, when I got the "can't open" dialog, does that mean it couldn't find the file or just that it couldn't open it? I'm a bit confused about this. Thanks again you guys.
        Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

"Can't open" usually means it can't find the file.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

just a quick tip...once you are in the directory where the file is, enter:

Code:
            sudo sh NV {press tab}
            once you hit the tab key, the rest of the filename will be filled in for you...assuming there is only one file in the directory that starts with 'NV'

mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg780

However, when I got the "can't open" dialog, does that mean it couldn't find the file or just that it couldn't open it? I'm a bit confused about this. Thanks again you guys.
              "Can't open" is normally caused by either of two things (to the system it's the same thing):

- mistyping the file name
              - being in the wrong directory

Comment

muzicman0,

Every time I tried the "tab" thing it would just beep. I was never able to get it to fill in for me. I don't know what I was doing wrong. I followed dibl's directions exactly.

dibl,

Why do we need to copy the NVIDIA file to a temp directory? I could not get the copy process to work. I made a directory in my root and copied the file to it then performed the rest of your directions and it worked. Is there a specific reason you wanted it in a temp directory?

Thank you guys for your help. Much appreciated. John

Comment

Why do we need to copy the NVIDIA file to a temp directory? I could not get the copy process to work. I made a directory in my root and copied the file to it then performed the rest of your directions and it worked. Is there a specific reason you wanted it in a temp directory?
                  (a) copy process:

"cd" to the /tmp directory, then
                  Code:
                  sudo cp /home/youruser/NV{Tab-to-complete} .
                  Notice the period which follows a space after the end of the file name.

(b) why /tmp?

The nice thing about installing software from /tmp is, at the next reboot, all the junk you set up there for the installation is deleted. You don't even have to think about it -- it just happens. 8)

Comment

So this means that in the folder I installed the nvidia file from there is "install junk" in it. I guess it would be OK to delete this folder?

Comment

So this means that in the folder I installed the nvidia file from there is "install junk" in it. I guess it would be OK to delete this folder?
                      Yep, assuming you keep your downloaded driver file somewhere safe, like your /home/user folder. That's all you will need next time.

Comment

Ok, will do. Thank you, John

Comment

Working...
                        X