This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kuser/Adduser not working properly

I added my daughter as a user on my desktop via konsole and everything seemed to be OK. Her /home and all the folders are setup as well as having her username at the kde login screen, except when she inputs the password the screen flickers and goes blank momentarily before coming back to the login screen. I'm not sure if it's because I used only 3 letters when setting up her password (she's only 4) and there is a minimum password limit or it's a bug in the application.
    I would like to remove her user account but I don't know how using konsole. Makes me miss GUI app we had for user accounts under 8.04.

Re: Kuser/Adduser not working properly

The symptom is consistent with what happens when root (sudo) saves a file in a user folder, or runs the X server.

If you can log on as your daughter in the CLI, and remove the hidden files ~/.ICEauthority and ~/.Xauthority in her user folder, then log out and try again with the GUI login, it MIGHT clear the problem. No guarantee ...

Comment

Thanks for the reply but tried the suggestion but it did not work. Will try reading more on adding/removing users

Comment

I vaguely recall that *buntu requires a minimum of 4 characters for the password, but I can't find the rules at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          I vaguely recall that *buntu requires a minimum of 4 characters for the password, but I can't find the rules at the moment.

I'd like to change the password or delete the account and start afresh but don't know how via CLI.

Comment

userdel - Linux man page
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              that's a pretty useful link and I've bookmarked it. Unfortunately even after deleting the user account then setting up a new one it's still not cooperating.

Comment

Check the new user's group memberships -- the symptom is that she can't run the X server. I'm not sure why that would be, but she needs to be a member of the video and audio groups, as a minimum. Group members are listed in /etc/group. Members are separated by commas.

Comment

Working...
                X