This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDM in Jaunty broken after update

This is at least the fourth time this has happened, and it's getting frustrating.

I ran a regular update this morning, which installed ~85 updates. I decided to restart my machine since it had been up for a while, and when I logged backed in I got a checkerboard pattern on the desktop, and Plasma and KDM are broken. The only widget that Plasma shows is the KDE panel at the bottom of the display, but I can't right-click on my desktop. I ran the software tool (can't remember what replaced Adept), but can't enter a password because KDM is hosed. So when I dropped to a terminal and tried to run sudo apt-get update, it told me that it couldn't verify a key for one of the sources.

I'll post the contents of the sources file when I get home tonight, but I thought I'd put this out there now because I'm desperate for a fix other than reinstalling the OS. I'm getting tired of the checkerboard background when I run updates. Even though it doesn't happen all the time, it's happened enough that I've had to reinstall three times in six months.

It's likely that I have the Jaunty Unsupported source in the list, but that's because it's the only way to get certain software, like KOffice 2. If that's the problem, I'm curious to know why it's so inconsistent.

And help on resolving this without resorting to reinstalling would be greatly appreciated.
    In hindsight, everything can be funny<br />--Anonymous

Re: KDM in Jaunty broken after update

I got this when booting 4.3 after upgrading from 4.2. What worked for me was to do a

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

From the man page:
    "dist-upgrade, in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages"

My guess is those dependencies in Plasma haven't fully been accounted for yet.

Comment

Originally posted by leftbas
      This is at least the fourth time this has happened, and it's getting frustrating.

I ran a regular update this morning, which installed ~85 updates. I decided to restart my machine since it had been up for a while, and when I logged backed in I got a checkerboard pattern on the desktop, and Plasma and KDM are broken. The only widget that Plasma shows is the KDE panel at the bottom of the display, but I can't right-click on my desktop. I ran the software tool (can't remember what replaced Adept), but can't enter a password because KDM is hosed. So when I dropped to a terminal and tried to run sudo apt-get update, it told me that it couldn't verify a key for one of the sources.

I'll post the contents of the sources file when I get home tonight, but I thought I'd put this out there now because I'm desperate for a fix other than reinstalling the OS. I'm getting tired of the checkerboard background when I run updates. Even though it doesn't happen all the time, it's happened enough that I've had to reinstall three times in six months.

It's likely that I have the Jaunty Unsupported source in the list, but that's because it's the only way to get certain software, like KOffice 2. If that's the problem, I'm curious to know why it's so inconsistent.

And help on resolving this without resorting to reinstalling would be greatly appreciated.
      how did u update?

Comment

I updated to 4.3, per the announcement on kubuntu.org with the same result described above. I was forced to login from the command and use "aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade" to fix the system in text mode. It took a few goes, with aptitude coming up with a more complete and functional upgrade with every attempt, until I aptitude eventually got me a working desktop again with only two packages being help back:

Code:
        lyons@lyons-desktop:~$ sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
        [sudo] password for lyons:
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree
        Reading state information... Done
        Reading extended state information
        Initializing package states... Done
        The following packages are BROKEN:
         python-qt3
        The following NEW packages will be installed:
         libqt4-scripttools{a}
        The following packages will be REMOVED:
         python-qt4-common{a}
        The following packages will be upgraded:
         python-qt4 python-sip4
        2 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        Need to get 6087kB of archives. After unpacking 979kB will be used.
        The following packages have unmet dependencies:
         python-qt3: Depends: python-sip4 (<= 4.8) but 4.8.1-1~jaunty1 is to be installed.
        The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:
        python-qt4 [4.4.4-2ubuntu6 (jaunty, now)]
        python-qt4-common [4.4.4-2ubuntu6 (jaunty, now)]
        python-sip4 [4.7.9-1ubuntu1 (jaunty, now)]

Score is 141

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
        So there are some issues with python qt3 and qt4, but my desktop is as least 99% working until all the packages catch up.

Comment

Actually, using apt-get instead of aptitude solved the rest of my dependency problems. I'm just used to using aptitude from my days using Debian (where aptitude was heavily sold as the successor). But Ubuntu seems to prefer apt-get for some reason.

Comment

Something similar has happened to me lately too. An update will come through for a bunch of things, and then I'll hang right after login. After a period of time, another set up updates will come out, and that set will fix whatever went screwy the first time.

In between, I just login to my xfce session.

Comment

Working...
            X