X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Leave" menu doesn't work properly

Hi

Anyone able to help with this?

When finishing my session I can shut down by hitting the power button or hibernating by closing the laptop lid, but if I use the "leave" menu things don't seem to work correctly. This is most noticeable if I try to log out which simply results in a grey screen and I end up having to shut down with the power button (although it does this via the proper routine).

Does anyone else suffer from this? Is there anything that I can do to fix it, short of removing the .kde file and reconfiguring the desktop? Any tips much appreciated
    Thanks

Re: "Leave" menu doesn't work properly

Yesterday I installed the 8-20-09 snapshot of the 64 bit Kubuntu Karmic in dual boot so I could test it out and help with the debugging.

The very first time after the install I got the grey screen as you mentioned. I hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 and issed "halt" in the konsole. After a cold boot the problem never repeated itself, although the logout seems to take twice as long as my 32bit Jaunty install.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

At least read this http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105703.0
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        Hi

Anyone able to help with this?

When finishing my session I can shut down by hitting the power button or hibernating by closing the laptop lid, but if I use the "leave" menu things don't seem to work correctly. This is most noticeable if I try to log out which simply results in a grey screen and I end up having to shut down with the power button (although it does this via the proper routine).

Does anyone else suffer from this? Is there anything that I can do to fix it, short of removing the .kde file and reconfiguring the desktop? Any tips much appreciated
        Thanks

similar issues here bro....

Comment

If I shut down X I can then get to the login screen no problem. If I log in to a gnome session on logging out I get precisely the same problem so I suspect this is a KDM rather than a KDE issue.

I'll give GDM a go.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator

If I shut down X I can then get to the login screen no problem. If I log in to a gnome session on logging out I get precisely the same problem so I suspect this is a KDM rather than a KDE issue.

I'll give GDM a go.
            what will be the pros and cons of running gdm as compared to kdm?

Comment

An update......

Installing gdm does indeed enable logout, so the issue would appear to be with KDM.

However (and this is a biggy) if you use GDM you get a warning that it will ignore settings within a file (kdmrc IIRC) and as a result it ignores your autologin and sets the default to gnome. So that's not an answer.

Comment

Working...
              X