This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

partition unused hard disk space from desktop

im fairly new to linux, i have installed kubuntu onto a 40gb partition and have roughly 260gb unused space, how can i partition this so i can use it

Re: partition unused hard disk space from desktop

No need for any further partitioning, unless there are more requirements than just "using it".

You will need to automatically "mount" it at boot time. That means (a) make a mount point, and (b) edit your /etc/fstab file to mount it upon booting the system.

I don't know how much of this subject you already know, so I'm not going to attempt to step you through it in detail. You do (a) with this command:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/DATA
    and you do (b) by first determining the UUID number of the applicable partition, using the commands
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    and
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    and then opening kate in super user mode with

Alt-F2 kdesudo kate

and then opening /etc/fstab and adding a line that looks something like this:
    UUID=e4a45430-1c4a-4432-91db-265cfe7dd645 /media/DATA ext3 auto,users,rw,exec,noatime 0 2
    There's a link in my signature, and one of the FAQs is on this topic, so you can learn more from that material.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by andymiller6891
      im fairly new to linux, i have installed kubuntu onto a 40gb partition and have roughly 260gb unused space, how can i partition this so i can use it
      ? is it unused space that has a partition and filesystem............or unalocated disk space?

if it's unused space.......use it.......and like dibl sead if you want it auto mounted at boot.

if it's unalocated........no partition or file system............ get gparted and fix that.

Code:
      sudo apt-get install gparted
      VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

better to install gparted.
        that willl answer yr questions.

Comment

Working...