Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Launching wine programs (foxit) from Firefox's download dialog menu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launching wine programs (foxit) from Firefox's download dialog menu?

Hi,

I followed this guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=847180) and created a bash script to launch foxit from /usr/bin/, but foxit neither opens the pdf in /tmp nor starts up when launched from firefox's download dialog menu.

I tested whatever script I made (i.e. $sh /usr/bin/foxit) to see if the wine starts up...

Foxit (wine) starts up with either

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Foxit Reader.exe"
    or

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

wine start /ProgIDOpen FoxitReader.Document %f
    The second code being the command that opens up a pdf in foxit (wine) from dolphin or folderview.

However, neither command works when trying to open a pdf from firefox's dialog menu using foxit (wine). Please help!

THanks

Re: Launching wine programs (foxit) from Firefox's download dialog menu?

Hi ssri

I think you are missing the bash script argument $1 ?

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

wine start /ProgIDOpen FoxitReader.Document %1
    or

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Foxit Reader.exe" $1
    (in the second case you'll need to experiment with placing the $1 both inside and outside the quoting marks "")

Hope this helps!

Comment

Now I know this does not reply your question, but have you considered using the linux version of foxit?

Comment

Cr*p you are right!
        http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/des.../download.html

This should be a lot, lot more efficient than going through wine.

I think it's still useful to know how to script things up if needed

Comment

Originally posted by musta ruhtinas
          Now I know this does not reply your question, but have you considered using the linux version of foxit?
          It is completely featureless that's why. No markup or commenting tools. I would much prefer to use okular, but its poppler backend lacks the ability to recognize columns. This is a frustrating bug for those who conduct research in the sciences and wish to use non-proprietary tools. I find okular fast and full of nice features save for the one I find essential for my work. What is more frustrating is the attitude of the maintainer of poppler who has not provided any indication that he will spend time trying to resolve this problem (http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=161324).

Comment

Working...
          X