X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mediubuntu.org and synaptic problems

I added this from the mediubuntu.org page (jaunty) in my terminal

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Now when I try to open Synaptic I get this

E: Type 'googleearth_5.0.11337.1968-0medibuntu10.dscgoogleearth_5.0.11337.1968-0medibuntu10.dsc' is not known on line 57 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
    E: The list of sources could not be read.
    Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Could anyone tell me how I get to the 'repository dialog' and what I do there?

Re: mediubuntu.org and synaptic problems

Did you add the GPG key?

Go to the Medibuntu page and scroll down to where it says "Then, add the GPG Key: "
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I have the Medibuntu repository installed and Googleearth is available. But I have no line in my sources list like that.

Googleearth is an application, not a repository and I think it has no place in your sources list.

Open a terminal and input the command:
      kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
      Make the line you quote ineffective by putting a # at the front. Save. Close.

If the package Googleearth is not available in Synaptic you may need to reinstall Medibuntu
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

GoogleEarth installed okay but is WAY too slow to use and I cannot see planet Earth. Is this normal?
        I downloaded Google Earth bin file for Linux from Google site, installed it by click on it and it works fine. It survived in my home directory even through complete reinstall from Hardy to Intrepid.

Processor ~1,7GHz, 1 GB RAM.
        Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Please make sure your system has properly-configured OpenGL drivers. If Google Earth appears to be slow and unresponsive, it is likely that your system needs different video drivers.
          From "Google Earth User Guide" at http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/

What video card do you use? Have you got drivers installed?

How much RAM have you got?

Comment

What did you do to install a .bin file
            Sorry, it was at time of Hardy, I messed it with Opera deb file. I used this:
            Run .bin file in Linux / UNIX

Change the permission of the file you downloaded to be executable. Type the following command:
            $ chmod +x file.bin

Start the installation process or run .bin file.Type the following command:
            ./file.bin

For example if .bin file name is application.bin. Type:
            $ chmod +x application.bin
            $ ./application.bin
            Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

VESA Framebuffer Graphics is a generic term. Do you know the make and model of your video card?

If you don't know. open a Terminal and issue the command:
              lspci -v
              What does it say on the line VGA Compatible Controller...?

Comment

So the video card you have is an S3 UniChrome Pro. It's a few years since I used on of those!

I don't know if you have glxgears installed. Open a Terminal and input the command: glxgears

If it is working you will see a picture of gear wheels turning and in the Terminal it will tell you how many frames-per-second you can achieve. I get 900+

The best video cards for acceleration are Nvidia.

This old guy will have to sign out and sleep at this point. Someone else may be able to advise you from here...

Comment

Somehow I knew this thread would end with "S3 Unichrome" .....

The Windows driver is, of course, carefully crafted to get the most out of the GPU. The Linux driver is ... well, nobody stayed at work overtime to perfect it.

GoogleEarth is really a pretty tough test of a driver and GPU. And the Unichrome driver just isn't the world's best, I'm afraid. Since glxgears is giving a respectable frame rate, I think you're done, unless you can overclock the CPU.

Comment

...Unless you want a picture which is unique to GoogleEarth you probably don't need it.

You can get pictures in your browser. Try http://maps.google.com or even http://www.multimap.com/?live_search_maps=true

Comment

Working...
                    X