This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome browser? Any PPA ? And Flash/Java plugin?[SOLVED]

Just a quickie guys...any way we can get this chrome browser for kubuntu JJ? i have it on my pclinuxos box.

Re: Chrome browser? Any PPA we can get it frm

I got it from here.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu

Comment

great....wht's yr experience?

Comment

i got it frm here;

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa

and i benchmarked chromium 3.0.198 vs firefox 3.0.13 its chromium is abt 5 times faster than firefox !

Comment

Lets try it...

Comment

In the regular repro's you can find another neat and light browser: arora.

It's not a finished work but 90% of sites can be accessed plus it's cross-platform.

Comment

You can get the development linux version in a deb file directly from Google.

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en...table_i386_deb

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en...able_amd64_deb

Comment

I use Chromium as my main browser. It's way better than Firefox.
                Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Comment

Re: Chrome browser? Any PPA ? And Flash plugin?

Anyone here got flash to work in chromium? i tried making a softlink to libflashplayer.so but to no avail? Do i need adobe flash installed or will the flashplugin that came with kubuntu suffice?

ls -l

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 2009-08-12 11:34 libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18000 2009-08-11 01:36 libnpapi_layout_test_plugin.so

Comment

Works in mine. Here is how I did it. This is far Google Chrome. If you are using chromium-browser from the ppa, read replies below this one.

Code:
                    mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins/
                    then
                    Code:
                    cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins/
                    then
                    Code:
                    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
                    Then modify the command to start the program to:

/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --enable-plugins %U

Flash is the only plugin I've tried so far. I will add some other plugins from my Firefox plugins later to see if they work.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                      Works in mine. Here is how I did it.

Then modify the command to start the program to:

/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --enable-plugins %U

here is where u lost me.

i have /usr/bin/chromium-browser

Comment

haha,

frm the command line i tried '/usr/bin/chromium-browser --enable-plugins %U' and VOILA i have flash support.
                        i edited the kmenu items accordingly.

Now how to get java working?

Comment

Re: Chrome browser? Any PPA ? And Flash/Java plugin?

yes, my instructions are for Google Chrome, but you can easily modify them for chromium browse. The command is in /usr/bin and the files are in /usr/lib/chromium-browser. I have a very busy day today, if I get time later I will try to install Java and see if it works.

Comment

Hello

I'm starting to get crazy with this...

Well, I have done the commands Detonate said, but to create the folders I had to create them with kdesudo dolphin. After that:

nuno@Nuno-Linux:/opt/google/chrome/plugins$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
                            nuno@Nuno-Linux:/opt/google/chrome/plugins$ /usr/bin/chromium-browser --enable-plugins %U

(chromium-browser:4234): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtcurve.so: classe ELF errada: ELFCLASS64
                            Created new window in existing browser session.
                            nuno@Nuno-Linux:/opt/google/chrome/plugins$ /usr/bin/chromium-browser --enable-plugins %U

(chromium-browser:4288): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtcurve.so: classe ELF errada: ELFCLASS64
                            [4288:4288:691399043190:ERROR:/build/buildd/chromium-browser-3.0.198.0~svn20090810r22916/build-tree/src/net/proxy/proxy_config_service_linux.cc(558)] Not implemented reached in void net::ProxyConfigServiceLinux:elegate::SetupAndFetchInitialConfig(MessageLoop*, MessageLoop*)Bug 17363: obey KDE proxy settings.
                            nuno@Nuno-Linux:/opt/google/chrome/plugins$

And still no flash plugin...

marcopl, did it work in FF too??
                            One other thing that could help: I'm using 64bits version..

Comment

You don't have to use the mkdir command with chromium-browser, the plugins directory is already there. You only have to do that with Google Chrome.

To install the plugin in chromium-browser, the command should be:

cd /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins

Then do:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so

Then start the browser with the command;

/usr/bin/chromium-browser --enable-plugins

Comment

Working...
                              X