Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Please Use Internet Explorer" workaround?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Please Use Internet Explorer" workaround?

I am trying to register my CV on a large company website.
    Every time I click the link to do so it sends me this error box

"Please Use Internet Explorer"

My default browser is Firefox 3.5 and I have tried configuring browser identification in Konqueror but to no avail.

Does anyone know how I could work around this without installing Windows

Thanks

Re: "Please Use Internet Explorer" workaround

Install the "User Agent Switcher" extension to FF, then use it to open that web site "as" IE 7 or IE 8.

Fair warning -- if they are truly "controlling", and deep into the pocket of Microsoft, they'll use some product like Juniper Networks to force you to download an ".exe" file, which of course is useless on a Linux system. In that case, you can color yourself hosed by Microsoft.

I'll cross my fingers ...

Comment

Re: "Please Use Internet Explorer" workaround

My experience is with a web site I have to access to download changes to program I have to run in windows, and being to lazy to change OS just for a small download I just went ahead and clicked on the link in the web site that said I had to have IE6 or later and the link opened and presented me with the logon screen and I was able to complete my download.

Another option is to install windows in a VM.

Comment

Re: "Please Use Internet Explorer" workaround?

It's "using a sledgehammer to crack a nut" but you can install and run Internet Explorer in Linux on Wine...

Have a look at http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

For general advice about Wine I like Frank's Corner at http://frankscorner.org/index.php
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: "Please Use Internet Explorer" workaround?

There is a lot of piracy also in Mexico. You can buy all sorts of programs on the street for less than $5 USD, including AutoCad with key cracker.

However, things are changing. My nephew works for a Mexico City government office, and two years ago, they announced the entire office was changing to Mandriva. And, anyone who does not want to learn Linux should look for another job. I do not know if the fact I went in several years ago and installed Mandriva dual-boot in an office computer had anything to do with the distro choice or not.

They needed an upgrade, and didn't really have funds for new computers, nor for Windows.

The problem is, Mexico City is sort of like Tammany Hall in NYC years ago. The party which wins the election gets to hire all the city employees, I think. So, they are a party function, and the opposition would love to call up MS and report them for piracy.

So, the real choice is Linux, which lets them use the older computers, and also eliminates piracy problems. I asked him if they had any special programs, and he said, yes, but they are all written for Linux.

Comment

Working...
          X