X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] need help finishing install of KDE 4 gfxboot theme

Hello all,

I found this forum topic about KDE4.1 grub splashscreen.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...1333#msg141333

I thought it really cool & wanted to give it a try.

I have successfully removed the old & installed the new: (grub gfx-boot)http://kanotix.com/debian/pool/main/g/grub-gfxboot/. [grub-gfxboot_0.97-11_amd64.deb]

there are two questions

1. after downloading the tar file with the new boot themes, gfxmenu /boot/grub/message.kde41blueshould I unpack??
    And if so, is there a specific location where I should do this. the file has downloaded to my Desktop folder.

2. I can't seem to save the "gfxmenu /boot/grub/message.kde41blue" line to my menu.1st. I'm not sure how to do it via the command line and it wont let me do it graphically (says to check if I have permission) I would imagine I need root privileges to do it, but can't quite figure out how to do it.

My questions may be elementary. I ask for your patience ahead of time.
    System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Re: need help finishing install of KDE 4 gfxboot theme

UPDATE

I have done some searching and figured out the answer to my 2nd question.

Code:
    kde sudo kate
    this allowed me to save the appropriate line to .lst file.

still needing help with the 1st question. I know that I should unpack the tar file, just not sure what folder to do this in.
    System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Comment

Re: need help finishing install of KDE 4 gfxboot theme

UPDATE2

As I was searching for answers, I came across the following post on the subject.

http://thejranjan.wordpress.com/2009...unty-jackalop/

This one helped me get the rest of the way there. I have now successfully installed the KDE 4 gfxboot theme. Looks sweet!

Still wondering if anyone knows how i can edit my menu list. Right now it shows so many options. For example, this is the list i currently have:

Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-14-generic
      Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-14-generic (recovery mode)
      Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-13-generic
      Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-13-generic (recovery mode)
      Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
      Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (recovery mode)
      Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+
      Windows NT/2000/XP
      Windows XP Media Center Edition

This is the list I would like to have:

Kubuntu 9.04, Jaunty Jackalope
      Kubuntu 9.04, Jaunty Jackalope (recovery mode)
      Kubuntu 9.04, memtest86+
      Windows NT/2000/XP
      Windows XP Media Center Edition

Anyone know how to change that?

Comment

Re: [Solved] need help finishing install of KDE 4 gfxboot theme

Figured it out! Works great. Copied & saved my menu.lst. as menu.list.before. Just in case I was to mess something up. Then edited my menu list to display the titles that I wanted.

Comment

Just remember what you did. You MAY have problems with the next kernel upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
            Just remember what you did. You MAY have problems with the next kernel upgrade.
            Thanks for the heads up. I am going to save this and the related posts to a file for future reference if needed.

Comment

Working...
            X