X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] What is ? excessive cpu use.

What is npview.bin ?

It sometimes uses almost 100% of cpu and shoots cpu temp way too high.
    The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Re: What is ? excessive cpu use.

Originally posted by BeepBeep
    What is npview.bin ?

It sometimes uses almost 100% of cpu and shoots cpu temp way too high.
    npviewer.bin is the Adobe Flash Player plugin.

Comment

Yes, it has been a problem on 64 bit machines for quite a while. Anytime you view a flash in your browser, after closing, open a terminal and enter top and see if npviewer.bin is still running. If so, kill it. I don't know what causes it to hang and fail to close, it works fine on some sites but not on others. Even on the sites where it does work, it is processor intensive and will cause you CPU temp to shoot up. Monitor it closely.

Comment

Many thanks for both replies. I rather do without the Flash than burn my cpu.

Regards
        The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

There was an update today to the flash plugin. Maybe it fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
            There was an update today to the flash plugin. Maybe it fixed it.
            Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X