Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Workaround for Quanta in KDE 4.3?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I foolishly upgraded to KDE 4.3 without checking whether anything was being removed, and sure enough, a rather crucial piece of software (Quanta Plus) is now gone due to dependency problems.

Quanta is badly lacking in developers, and so isn't likely to be updated any time soon. Does anyone know of a workaround to get it playing nicely with KDE 4.3?

I'm thinking that an option that might be very inadvisable in theory but may work in practice would be to download the deb and mess with its dependency information. The three packages that are causing the problem don't look terribly intimidating (klinkstatus, kfilereplace, kommander) - are they likely to have changed considerably from KDE 3 to KDE 4? Would changing the dependency information in the quanta deb really screw up the operation of the software in some way?

I've looked at some of the potential alternatives (Bluefish, Kompozer), but they don't even come close in terms of project handling from what I can tell.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Re: Workaround for Quanta in KDE 4.3?

The only suggestion i can make is that it would probably be easier to return to KDE 3.5.

Quanta is - in my opinion - the best web development environment on either Linux or Windows. 8)

It uses klinkstatus and kfilereplace, but kommander - that's a new one on me.

I've just checked, and i only have Quanta installed, but then i'm using KDE 3.5.

Edited to add:
    I've just realised that i'm in Mepis at the moment....

Comment

Thanks, but I've got used to my KDE4 luxuries alas

I wish I had any useful coding skills to help out with porting Quanta, but stealing other people's CSS code is about as advanced as I've got.

I'll give it a little while longer before doing a trial and error with the dependency settings and see how it goes...

Comment

Have you asked at: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/quanta

... though it has been quiet there recently...

Comment

Ran into problems with upgrade to 4.3 final and reloaded Kubuntu 9.04.

Commented out the upgrade repositories and updated to 4.2.4.

Loaded Quanta and it works fine, except for Cervisia.

Researched the approach you suggest reasonably well and came to the conclusion that the newer versions of klinkstatus, kfilereplace, kommander and others are not compatible with the latest version of Quanta.

So going back to KDE 3 is not the only option if you can do without Cervisia.

Comment

I didn't say it's the only option, but my only suggestion.

... but then... i like KDE 3.5. 8)

Comment

marek ,for php development netbeans or bluefish is great.

Comment

Hi, you don't have to go back to kde 3.5 to have quanta working!
                It's enough that you manually install the version 3.5.10 of its dependencies: kfilereplace, kimagemapeditor, klinkstatus, kommander and kxsldbg. You can download them from ubuntu.packages (the intrepid or jaunty version). Then you will be able to use quanta plus in kde 4.3.
                If you want to avoid the updater to continuously ask for the upgrade of those packages you can then block the version 3.5.10 (I made it from synaptic, I can't find this option in kpackagekit...).

Comment

Thanks kiloxxx, your idea got me through my issues

Here are my steps (replace amd64 in the URL with i386, if you run 32 bit, or with your architecture):
                  Code:
                  wget [url]http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17069296/kxsldbg_3.5.10-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb[/url]
                  wget [url]http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17069294/kommander_3.5.10-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb[/url]
                  wget [url]http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17069293/klinkstatus_3.5.10-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb[/url]
                  wget [url]http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17069291/kfilereplace_3.5.10-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb[/url]
                  sudo dpkg -i k*.deb
                  sudo apt-get install quanta
                  Quanta even re-installed cervisia for me, although I use kdesvn personally.

Comment

That's all Good News.

The way to stop Synaptic or Adept (and KPackagekit ?) nagging about upgrading is to pin the version by following Rog131's instructions here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...9271#msg109271

Comment

Kiloxxx, cpradio and aged hippy you are awesome. That works brilliantly, thanks. Exactly what was required.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Workaround for Quanta in KDE 4.3?

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Workaround for Quanta in KDE 4.3?

For the i386 I used the packages from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...+build/1037564.
                          Additionally I had to install the package "tidy". With that I can work with Quanta again, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
                            Edited to add:
                            I've just realized that i'm in Mepis at the moment....
                            I used to run MEPIS. It is an OK distro and it has an excellent help forum.

I would ask why you would use a distro which favors KDE 3.5, and then habituate a forum for a distro which features KDE4, but I understand .... this IS a great forum!
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                              Originally posted by aged hippy
                              Edited to add:
                              I've just realized that i'm in Mepis at the moment....
                              I used to run MEPIS. It is an OK distro and it has an excellent help forum.

I would ask why you would use a distro which favors KDE 3.5, and then habituate a forum for a distro which features KDE4, but I understand .... this IS a great forum!
                              Just to add befuddlement to confusion , i've been using Mint 7 for about a fortnight.... it has a Gnome desktop (see my sig).

I like - and prefer - this Forum, and its inhabitants. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X