Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[resolved] libqt-4.5 missing when trying to upgrade from KDE4.3 RC3 to KDE4.3

As per subject, I'm trying to upgrade from KDE4.3 RC3 to KDE4.3 final release but when I run aptitude full-upgrade I get a lot of dependency problems which look something like that:

libqt4-dbus (>= 4.5.1) but 4.5.0-0ubuntu4.1 is installed.

This is for several packages, not only dbus. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Golan.

Edit: I actually have RC3 installed and not as originally written.

Re: libqt-4.5 missing when trying to upgrade from KDE4.3 RC3 to KDE4.3 Final

What if you do "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"?

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
      What if you do "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"?
      Following "sudo apt-get update" just to be sure.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (after update) doesn't shout about dependencies but keeps 67 packages back not upgraded, some which I believe should be upgraded (e.g. dolphin).

Edit: it also wants to remove 18 packages such as Kmail.

Comment

You may think that dolphin should be upgraded, but the package maintainers are saying otherwise at this time.

It's always preferable to utilize apt-get dist-upgrade as apposed to apt-get upgrade. Run man apt-get and look at the difference between the two.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, found the problem.

Apparently for this update you need to add another ppa repository in addition to the usual KDE backports repository. Aptitude now only wants to remove 3 packages and non of them seem essential.

Thanks everyone for your help!

(P.S Snowhog: I really prefer using aptitude. I think initially I just got used to it but I think that now it saved the day if I was using apt-get I would probably miss the list of packages that it wanted to remove while in aptitude it gave me clear error messages which were impossible to ignore).

Edit: If anyone else is running into this problem what you need to do is add the following to your sources list:
            deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/staging/ubuntu jaunty main

and then, of course, run aptitude update or apt-get update.

Comment

Re: [resolved] libqt-4.5 missing when trying to upgrade from KDE4.3 RC3 to KDE4.3

The Kubuntu community!!! Incomparable.

I panicked when Kontact wouldn't work. No email, big problem. Thank you for pointing to the answer.

Comment

Re: [resolved] libqt-4.5 missing when trying to upgrade from KDE4.3 RC3 to KDE4.3

Any plans to put KDE 4.3 in the Jaunty main repositories before Karmic is released?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X