This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO video playback working

No matter what form of video playback I use, .avi, .mpeg, .mp4, .wmv and other, I can't get my video to respond. With some players I can get the sound to work, like kaffiene and mplayer, but all the others just seem to crash when I try to play the files. I've downloaded all the codecs I could find, kubuntu restricted packages etc, I even manually installed win32 codecs, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Re: NO video playback working

What is the feedback/error message if you start the video through the konsole ?

Code:
    vlc /path/to/video.avi
    or
    Code:
    mplayer /path/to/video.mpg
    or
    Code:
    kaffeine /path/to/video.wmv
    etc...

If you are using the SMPlayer: Options > View logs (any errors ?)

Many media player applications have the video out (vo) /1/ settings. Have you tried different settings ?

VLC: Tools > Preferences > Video > Output (Default/X11/OpenGL/XVideo...)

Mplayer: Preferences > Video > Available drivers (xv/x11/gl/dl2/...)

SMPlayer: Options > Preferences > General > Video > Output driver (xv/x11/gl/dl2/...)

Kaffeine (0.87- KDE 3.5): Settings > Xine Engine Parameters > Video > Beginner Options > Driver (auto/xv...)

What kind of hardware do you have (GPU) ?

Earlier > Topic: video problems

/1/ SMPlayer FAQ
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

armoth, when i run vlc by the command line ...this is what i get , u can use this for comparison...

$ vlc PerfectCrime-SmartDog.wmv

VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
      [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
      [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
      [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
      [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

Get vlc to work first and then u can try the rest.

Comment

I am encountering an identical problem. Here is my hardware list:

Motherboard - 8I865GME-775 - Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
        BIOS - Award Software International, Inc. - F2 (02/21/2006)
        CPU - Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz - Socket 775
        System Memory - size: 2031MiB
        VGA compatible controller - Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller

I also have a Logitech 9000Pro webcam installed by USB and my monitor is an Acer P223w. I use Skype it works well. I use luvcview to set my camera and it works well. Everything else appears to run well - GIMP, GWENVIEW, etc. Firefox will show video as well.

I am running Kubuntu 9.04 at the most recent upgrades. I just did a clean reinstall to try and clear this problem and that did not work.

If I run Dragon from the terminal I get:

ME@ME-desktop:~$ dragon A.wmv
        dragonplayer(6274) Phonon::KdePlatformPlugin::createBackend: using backend: "Xine"
        dragonplayer(6274): Attempt to use QAction "aspect_ratio_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!
        dragonplayer(6274): Attempt to use QAction "audio_channels_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!
        dragonplayer(6274): Attempt to use QAction "subtitle_channels_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!

I get a blue screen with audio only. The same thing happens with mpeg files as well. This started a couple of months ago and I've been struggling with it. Before that everything worked great.

TIA for the help
        An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

Have you tried other media players ? VLC/Kaffeine (Xine) /MPlayer ?

If other players are working then this could be a Dragonplayer/Xine problem.

If you get the blue screen with all players then this could be a Intel Video driver/setting problem. There is > Topic: Intel Video troubleshooting/performance improvement link

Comment

I've tried Dragon, gxine, kaffeine, vlc, and mplayer with this. Some give a blue screen and some just fail. gxine has all kinds of problems with missing gnome stuff (I'm KDE) and kaffeine shows no abnormal messages at all. I tried the Intel graphics fix and it didn't help. Now I have to manually execute a script every time I start and the monitor is refreshing much slower and seems really jerky. It was taking several seconds to change from one window to another. I think I'll back all that out now. I did set it back and it is now working normally.

Here is the vlc output - it fails:

VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
            [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
            [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=x86_64-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
            [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
            [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
            [??] x11 video output error: X11 request 132.19 failed with error code 11:
            BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
            X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
            Major opcode of failed request: 132 (XVideo)
            Minor opcode of failed request: 19 ()
            Serial number of failed request: 81
            Current serial number in output stream: 82
            Segmentation fault

Comment

Note !
              I don't have the Intel GPU, these may or may not help.

When seraching with the "ubuntu Intel 82865G X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)" there are severals hits, few picks:

> [i945gm] all video players crash with BadAlloc error (no Compiz, Xv) if Virtual width > 2048.
              > upgraded to 9.04 tote&VLC crash on open video (without error)

A solution > Reverting the Jaunty Xorg intel driver to 2.4

Comment

Thanks Rog131 - the process to revert to driver version 2.4 worked like a charm. I guess I didn't use the right words in my search as I didn't find this post before. All fixed for now.

Comment

Working...
                X