This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grub update issues

I feel I should probably include some background since it might be relevant to why grub behaves this weirdly. I've got kubuntu installed on a slave disk, with grub on that same disk. As a result, it's not on the MBR, where my Windows is, and I've got Wingrub installed to bypass that issue. I would just remove windows completely, but I'm a bit of a gamer, and sadly Wine won't work with all games, and not at all with ventrilo, so it needs to stay.

The trouble is, every time grub updates itself, or a new kernel comes along, it will of course try to add that to the grub startup selection. But it won't do it correctly. It will add this:

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-14-generic
    uuid 28e896fa-bc6b-4189-9dfb-c0d2d4d66490
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-13-generic root=UUID=28e896fa-bc6b-4189-9dfb-c0d2d4d66490 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-13-generic
    quiet
    And that's it. Which of course won't boot anything, and I have to add this manually:

rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    root
    to all my kernel choices before I can safely reboot and be sure I can actually get in again without having to fiddle with grub when I get to the startup again.

Why is it doing this? And how can I fix it? Because it's INCREDIBLY annoying.

Re: grub update issues

I don't think there is much you can do about it. I have a similar annoyance. I prefer the (hd0, 4) syntax to UUID mainly because I reformat my drive a lot, especially since I use dump/restore for backup. Every time I reformat the partition it changes the UUID and screws up grub unless I change the format in the menu.lst file. When a new kernel is added during an update, the addition to menu.lst is UUID format. I've just learned to accept it and make the edit back to my preferred format.
    linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Well that's not very promising. I guess I'll just learn to live with it then.

Comment

Maybe someone will come along and show us the light but I doubt it. The update process is a program. It updates the file. The way I view it at least the file is updated with a new entry and all I do is edit it. Easier than me adding a new kernel entry to the grub menu file. Things may change with grub2. I don't have any personal experience with the new grub.
        linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Working...
        X