Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't: shut down, restart, switch user, log out, ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't: shut down, restart, switch user, log out, ...

Here's how I can work around both problems (which I'm pretty sure are related):

1) Bring up the "System Notifications" control module. Uncheck "Play a sound" for the "Logout" event. This fixes the logout problem.

2) Additionally, turn off notification sounds altogether because kded4 will still jump to 50% CPU (presumably 100% on a single core CPU) every time a system sound is played. If you have a login sound, that's "right away".

You might think step 2 should fix both problems, but it doesn't.

Comment

Excellent, I'll try that, we should report in bugzilla

Comment

That's where I got the idea. Then I connected it to the kded4 CPU issue.

Comment

I love it when there's an easy solution.

For those that are like me and need a little more guidance, here's a more detailed list of what I (and some others) did to solve it:

Launcher menu -> Settings -> System Settings
          (under General -> Look&Feel ->) Notifications
          (under System Notifications -> Applications Tab) select Event Source "KDE System Notifications"
          I selected each of the entries in the table in turn and UNchecked "Play a sound", then clicked Apply
          Under the Player Settings tab, I selected (it was already selected) "No audio output".
          I had to restart to see the fix work.

Bless this humble forum,
          -c

Comment

Yes, or even MUCH easier: Just go to the Notifications dialog as you secribed, and choose Defaults. Apply. Quit. That was it for me :-)

Comment

I still ended up making a new user account and "moving". So far it neither keeps me from logging out nor from playing notification sounds nor is kded4 cooking my CPU. I didn't really miss the notification sounds, but it got so bad I couldn't even use Amarok 2 because kded4 freaked out every time the KDE sound system sprang into action.

Comment

Yes, you had that additional problem!

Comment

...............and at least a dozen other additional problems.................

Comment

Working...
                  X